Python No Spill Gravel Vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmoney87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey just got a quick question about the Python gravel vac. Yes wow there is somebody that actually dosent own one already even though all you hear are great things about them! Ok so my question is. When doing water changes and your about to fill the tank.. when do you guys add your declhor? As its my understanding that its best to add before it ever goes into your tank. Now doesent that defeat the purpose of the " no buckets no spills slogan" ? because im assuming to refill you still need a bucket and still need to dump the bucket rather than a nice slow fill that dosent disturb everything.

-davE

You add enough dechlor for the entire volume of the tank as it is filling. I generally start the fill and then poor in the dechlor. A brief bit of tap in the tank before adding the treatment will not matter. Otherwise I had better go tell my fish they are goners. :)

I shut off my filtration, then start filling, and add a little bit of dechlor every few minutes as I go (hey, it takes a while to do a large water change on a 125!)

I do the same in my smaller tanks as well though with no issue.

And, like lager said, you dose based on total volume of your tank when you do it like this, not how much water you're replacing.

I have well water so no chlorine problems, but I think you've got an answer there anyway. I just want to second that a Python is arguably one of the best aquarium related purchases you'll ever make. You'll wonder how you lived without it! I have one tank upstairs with no faucet and it is a royal pain to do a water change.

Ok thats all good to know then. I know your feeling my 75g is in my room upstairs and I use an DI Unit and the faucet adapter only fits on my laundry tup in the basement.. so I have to carry buckets up like two flights of stairs and pretty much to the opposite side of the house lol.. not very fun.. but i guess itll build me some extra muscle over time lol :cool: but yeah I hear that about the python all the time so I guess ill suck it up and go spend the 70$ on one. thanks

-davE

Big Al's Online
$28.79 25' python
$55.34 75' python
$80.99 100' python

Might be cheaper than what you can find locally, even after figuring in shipping.

My husband and I actually built our own "python" just using ordinary garden hose, about 50 ft of it, and a sort of "y" shape plumbing fixture with a screw on cap to block the outlet when it comes time to refill and a tap adaptor. It cost us about 20 euro which is only about $27.

You add enough dechlor for the entire volume of the tank as it is filling. I generally start the fill and then poor in the dechlor. A brief bit of tap in the tank before adding the treatment will not matter. Otherwise I had better go tell my fish they are goners. :)
Swimming pools lose water due to evaporation. It's a well known fact that adding water gradually increases the level of TDS over time because those solids don't evaporate.

If I do 25% water changes in a tank, and add enough de-chlor to treat the entire volume of that tank, won't the chemical eventually build up to high levels?

It is an instant thing. It reacts and goes away quickly. Apparently whether it reacts with chlorine compounds or not it does its thing and dissolves away. That is why you need to add for the whole tank volume. It also why you need to add more if the concentrations of chlorine are higher than the usual amount added by municipal water supplies.

If you change 25% of your water, rather than losing it to evaporation, then you reduce all dissolved solids anyway. It doesn't matter that they don't evaporate, because you aren't losing the majority of your water to evaporation. It is also true that the dechlor doesn't persist in the tank.

If you can manage the setup, the python actually can be used for both halves of the water change. You still need a bucket, but it isn't necessary to dump anything. All you need is a shelf or ladder where you can place the bucket higher than the tank's water level. Then you can add your water conditioner to the bucket and fill the tank through the siphon hose, drawing water out of the bucket and into the tank in a slow, controlled manner that won't spill a drop unless you're careless priming it.

Lager got it right. Dechlorinators do not remain in the water, but break down. I know Seachem (makers of Prime) say that you can expect their product to remain in the water no more than 24 hours.

Ok, so a de-chlorinator agent breaks down and goes away. I'm noting these names here and will head over to my LFS tomorrow.

I'm currently using API Stresscoat+ that says it "replaces slimecoat, reduces electrolyte loss" etc. etc.
I add 1 teaspoon (about 5 ml) to 10 gallons and then I test the buckets for Chlorine using HACH testing chemicals. No Chlorine. And at my house the free Chlorine residual runs from .7 to 1 ppm.

Can I use the API Stresscoat product, treating for 100 gallons when I'm only changing 25-30 gallons? Or should I use a straight de-chlorinator, and then add just 25-30 gallons worth of API?

python 28 dollars
extension 20 dollars
metal adapter 7 dollars
never having to use a bucket again priceless lol

gzeiger- You can use the python for both halves of the water change without the shelf, ladder, or bucket. Just reverse the water flow and add declor to the tank.

I'd skip the other additives and just use a quality dechlorinator like Prime. The rest of that stuff is a waste of money in my opinion. Just keep up with the aquarium maintenance and you'll have healthy fish.

So I bought a bottle of PRIME today and read the directions.

Halfway through it said: "May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium , base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal."

Has anyone here actually used full, aquarium-volume sized doses for an extended period of time?

As I said earlier, I'm just a little concerned about total dissolved solids (tds) or anything else building up after many water changes.

I have for years. It dissolves quickly. It will not harm your fish or change your water quality, it will simply remove chlorine and detoxify ammonia and nitrites.

Didnt think this thread would blow up like this. Thanks all for sharing your years of aquatic wisdom. Going to get my python today.. payday :cool:

-davE

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom