Python water changer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
After watching a YouTube video on the Python, my question is;
Is the suction done by turning the faucet on?
And has anyone attempted to DIY something similar?
Things can go wrong pretty quick, had a slight back injury and lifting buckets has become out of the question.

I looked into a diy at one point and felt that it was not going to be cost effective. It can be done but finding what you need at prices to make it worth it was the problem.

The one I made that is pictured in the thread link only cost 10-15 dollars as I already had the old vac. It works great and the only difference between it and a python is you have to screw it onto the tap for refilling.

The one I made that is pictured in the thread link only cost 10-15 dollars as I already had the old vac. It works great and the only difference between it and a python is you have to screw it onto the tap for refilling.

I'm as low as I can get, basement and tanks are over 25 feet from the nearest faucet. I think the python is only 20 feet? I'm wondering if I can just find the T part that connects to the faucet in a Home Depot or any dept store?
The rest I guess is just a matter of finding a hose with a valve at the end to control the water going back to the tank.

I've seen pythons, or a different brand, as long as 75' myself.

One thing I saw at menards I thought of trying was a power-drill pump attachment. It cost $3.50 and all you need is a drill to turn it and a couple lengths of hose. It says it draws up to 200gph, but I have no idea what that equates to so I can't compare it to a pythons flow.

Ok so I just saw on Petco online 25, 50, 75 and 100 feet Pythons, not cheap but not sure how much cheaper to go and buy the parts to put it together as Stewy said.

If your tanks are in your basement, do you have a sump pump? I run everything in the basement directly into mine. No pumps or water running required for suction as its fairly deep. Just a thought. :)

Hey the sump is a great idea but not convenient for me since it's far from the tanks and from the sink, I'd rather do it all in the sink both draining and filling.
I might just bite the bullet and get the Python type or make one like it. I see that Aqueon also makes one similar.

Well, I decided to buy a cheap garden hose, attached a valve at the end that goes into the tank, the other end I put in the sink and works fine. I can get enough suction and I'm able to drain and then fill the tank. All for about 16 bucks, the Aqueon 50 footer was something like 79 bucks. Eventually I'll get the T connection for the sink and attach that to the garden hose.
This definitely beats carrying 5 gallon buckets full of water back and forth.
Thanks for all the input guys!

Back
Top Bottom