Quality backgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have a favorite cite in the US for getting tank backgrounds. I'm tired of cheap materials, repeating patterns, and just overall junk.

I have been thinking of just doing the all black background, but even doing that I would want a quality one, not these little 1.50 per foot things.

I'm not looking for a 3D background, just a good one, it seems wherever I look it's always the same ones.

Is there any place you can create your own? That'd be cool.

I know a background is a silly thing to worry about. I found a few that I like, but they are only available in the UK.

I'm also looking at what I can do for a background. I definitely do not want a fake plants/rock picture, but for the health and well being of the fish I have to cover the back with something. If I don't figure something out I may just put a green, blue, or black background. I thought of creating a living wall out of houseplants and vines behind the tank. Some low light varieties that would be happy with the light from the tank.

Tagging along.

Sounds good. There's lots of DIY backgrounds out there, but most of em start with an empty tank, and you just silicon pieces in place.

Right now I'm leaning towards the all black background. I think it would look good with the fish I have. And hide wires and everything.

But even if I do that I want to find a quality one, the one I have now isn't is even water proof. It's all shriveled and crinkled in the places it's gotten wet.

I cant neither and im in the us as well lol. It really is always the same patterns. o_O

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Many people just paint the back of their tanks. Things like poster board often work well if you can apply it snugly too. If you're interested in a lighter color you can get frosted window pane materials at places like Home Depot for very cheap.

You could take a picture yourself or download one and get it laminated. This will make it waterproof too. Most office centres could laminate it for you, depending on the size of course. I'm sure you get it laminated online for larger sizes. Wouldn't imagine it would be too expensive either. If you go with this idea or any other background(apart from a solid colour) use a product called Seaview to stick it on. It basically an oil, that gives a nice shine to the background and helps it stick to the glass. It is great for pattern style backgrounds, not so good for solid colours. Baby oil or cooking oil could be used too. Have some paper towels on hand as this stuff is a bit messy.
The easiest background for a solid colour is painting the background on yourself. I have all my tanks painted black and have a thread showing the difference between one of the typical scenic backgrounds and the solid black. I will probably NEVER use a stick on background again. The black makes everything in the tank pop and the colours more vibrant....

I'm also looking at what I can do for a background. I definitely do not want a fake plants/rock picture, but for the health and well being of the fish I have to cover the back with something. If I don't figure something out I may just put a green, blue, or black background. I thought of creating a living wall out of houseplants and vines behind the tank. Some low light varieties that would be happy with the light from the tank.

Tagging along.

For getting growing vines on your background can use coco panels.

Not sure how they would be setup on an already living tank tbh though.

Back
Top Bottom