quaranteen tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been checking out liveaquaria.com because I have such a limited selection at my nearest lfs, which is 45 minutes away, and with gas prices the way they are I'd just about even out by paying shipping. Anyway, is it really necessary to have a quaranteen tank? I know there are risks, has anyone had their tanks diseased after receiving fish from them? (Of course I'd wait until I'm sure my tank is completely finished cycling.:D

The only fish I don't quarantine are ones I get from Severum Mama and HN1. However, if it is the first time stocking the tank...you can basically consider the main tank AS your QT. The main concern when adding new fish is that if you put them directly into a stocked tank...there is the risk of them infecting the fish you already have with a disease / parasite they bring in.

Keep in mind though, QT's are pretty much a must have item for a seasoned fish keeper. Even if your tank is fully stocked and you don't plan on adding more fish...the need occasionally arises when you need to set up a hospital tank to treat a sick or injured fish outside of the main tank.

Some people use Tupperware bins, but you can go to PetSmart and guy a 10 gallon tank for like $12.99. You don't need lights, substrate or decorations...just the tank, a heater and a cheap filter. It's always a good idea to run an additional HOB filter on your main tank, because if you ever need to set up a QT or hospital tank...you can do it in 5 minutes by simply filling the tank with water and pulling the extra filter off the main tank. That way you have an instantly cycled emergency tank :)

sounds like a plan, thanks. Btw, I was told by a petsmart employee that glofish change colors when they are stressed. The 2 I originally bought were dark orange in the display tank, but now they're light orange. There was a lady who purchased some green glofish while I was there and when they were put in the bag they looked yellow, and I heard the employee explain the same thing to her. Is there any truth to that?

I've got red, green and orange ones. Ive never seen them change color, but they do look a bit different depending on the lighting.

The only fish I don't quarantine are ones I get from Severum Mama and HN1. However, if it is the first time stocking the tank...you can basically consider the main tank AS your QT. The main concern when adding new fish is that if you put them directly into a stocked tank...there is the risk of them infecting the fish you already have with a disease / parasite they bring in.

Keep in mind though, QT's are pretty much a must have item for a seasoned fish keeper. Even if your tank is fully stocked and you don't plan on adding more fish...the need occasionally arises when you need to set up a hospital tank to treat a sick or injured fish outside of the main tank.

Some people use Tupperware bins, but you can go to PetSmart and guy a 10 gallon tank for like $12.99. You don't need lights, substrate or decorations...just the tank, a heater and a cheap filter. It's always a good idea to run an additional HOB filter on your main tank, because if you ever need to set up a QT or hospital tank...you can do it in 5 minutes by simply filling the tank with water and pulling the extra filter off the main tank. That way you have an instantly cycled emergency tank :)

+1 ..... having either a tank, a bucket, or bins can all serve as a QT. Once your DT tank is established and your stock is set ... the last thing you want is for one sick fish you just got from an LFS to infect the whole tank from stress of being in a new tank.

+ 1 on the quarantine tank. And I recommend keeping new stock in it for at least a month. I'm currently treating my QT for an ich breakout that didn't appear until the beginning of the third week.

Back
Top Bottom