Setting up a simple shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank.Beginner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'd like to start off by saying that I am very intimidated by tanks. I'm a long time diverse pet keeper but tanks are one of those things that I find might aswell be rocket science. But Im willing to learn of course. I enjoy shrimp, I like when things scurry around. From what I understand, unlike fish, they can be relatively easy to keep(?). In the near future I'd like to set up a small (5 gallon) shrimp tank. Im here to get some advice before I try my chances.
First of all, what type of shrimp would be the easiest shrimp to keep in a small, non-complicated tank? I've heard a lot of people mention either red cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp, thoughts?
Second, what equipment would be absolutely necessary for this project except for the tank? I've seen people go back and forth on heaters and filters for shrimp. Whether they're necessary or what kind is best fitted. Also - water testing kit?
And lastly, what does one do if the shrimp breed a lot in that small tank? I understand that there is only a certain amount of shrimp that is suitable for such a small space. So what if the shrimp breed and there is too many?

It was not hard to me. I have a 2g tank with new 6 red fire shrimps. No filter, no co2, no heater, no ferts, 7 hours of light daily.
When i was planning this small tank, i took a few days scaping and planing the plants position, i was planning the position the tank would be as well as where the air stone would be. After that, i added plants, floaters too, and seeds, and waited a long time for the tank to set up.
I added snails and microfauna from my other tanks. Left them there to breed and to check if life could survive in there. They did explode in numbers...
After all of that i added the shrimps. I have some posts about this tank if you would like to check this path.

I used nutrient rich soil mix, hardscape with lavarock, quartz crystals, spiderwood and driftwood.

The hardest part was to convince my brother it was worth the time.

Ofc im not an expert, this was my experience.20201220_131923.jpg20201220_131929.jpg20201220_132244.jpg20201220_131934.jpg

Back
Top Bottom