Quarantine and hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently use a single 10 gallon tank as my quarantine and hospital tank. The problem is that if I have to treat with antibiotics or disinfect after some horrible outbreak (like neon tetra disease), it kills the BB. Which means I have to re-cycle the tank. Even though I seed the filter with some media from a clean tank, there is some time lost before I can use the tank again for quarantining new fish. What do other people do?

Bought two tetra whisper filters for $20 and can interchange and clean out as needed, keep them running on other tanks..

Thanks. Do you use in-tank or hang-on-back types? This is a great idea (unless the tank it was in relates to the disease being treated).

Thanks so much. I think I will get two and keep them in separate tanks. I currently have a 29g cold water tank, a 20 g planted, and 55 gallon planted. That gives me some options on where to keep them. Extra filtration isn't going to hurt any of them! Besides these three and the quarantine tank, I also have a 5 gallon fry tank (with a sponge filter). Right now, it often seems like I just don't have enough back-up if something goes wrong.

Can never have enough filtration;) I used the fluval sponges for media, just crammed em in there, works great!

Back
Top Bottom