Quarantine Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andersen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear all members,

I need your hand, could you please kindly to post your "Quarantine Setup" picture? or do you have any quarantine setup link?

I wish to get more knowledge and better foudation to avoid mistake to made before setup a 4 feets aquarium.

Thank you very much :)

My qt tank. Skilter trickle filter, heater, thermometer, pvc pipes for them to hide. Bare bottom, no substrate or any absorbable items.
Also, WELCOME TO AA!!! :smilecolros:

Actually I had 4 clowns, My Angel, Yellow Tang, and my scooter. This was when I treated for Velvet back in Jan. Everyone was hiding.
The thing on the bottom is the nori clip, it fell down I guess. Its a 40 gallon tank.
By the way, to the original poster. When you qt new arrivals, please do it one at a time. Only time you would qt more than one is if you need to remove them from your system for parasitic treatment.
Her is my Angel in qt

This is a terrible picture, but since you haven't gotten too many replies . . . this is my 20L QT with a sponge filter and penguin 125 (no biowheel). Two black ocellaris, Squish and Smudge. Heater, NO light. PVC for hiding spots. Salt creep on front of tank. :)

Thanks

Mr quarryshark & blorkiemom,

Thanks for your picture and information
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had also read below article supply by Steve-s,

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

It was very useful and almost it is a extra assurance for primary tank :)

May I ask? What is the minimum capacity (liter) for the quarantine tank?

* How long the water could keep, when the filter & pump is off? I mean like if I didn't adding fish or fish no sick, I off the quarantine system, I don't know the water could keep for how long and the quality will change between off line?

Thanks

Minimum QT size would be 10 gallons (38 liters); 20 G (75 liters) would be better. Here's the calculator if you need to convert other measures.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2.php?type=gal-litres

A tank can be run empty with filtration going for a little while; I don't know how long, but at least a week or two, I'd think. You would probably see a mini-cycle when you re-added fish. Feeding the tank a few flakes would keep the bacteria going. If you turn off the filter, the water will degrade quickly. Someone with more experience might know better, but I don't think it could last more than a day or two. From what I've seen, most people break the tank down between uses and then start it over when needed. Many people keep a filter of some kind in the sump of their main tank and then fill QT with a mix of new SW and main tank water and add the "seeded" filter.

Here's another QT link I found useful.

http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/disease/qt.html

HTH!

PS What are your other 6 languages? :D
PPS I'm still very new, myself, so keep that in mind when you read my advice!

blorkiemom said:
Minimum QT size would be 10 gallons (38 liters); 20 G (75 liters) would be better. Here's the calculator if you need to convert other measures.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2.php?type=gal-litres

Hmm... I think I will setup 38 liters quarantine tank, reason I read the artice about the "Quarantine" they are recommended to put in a single fish. May ask, it really only put in single fish? How about if I bought 3-4 different fish? so I need to setup 4-5 quarantine tanks? :(

blorkiemom said:
A tank can be run empty with filtration going for a little while; I don't know how long, but at least a week or two, I'd think. You would probably see a mini-cycle when you re-added fish. Feeding the tank a few flakes would keep the bacteria going. If you turn off the filter, the water will degrade quickly. Someone with more experience might know better, but I don't think it could last more than a day or two. From what I've seen, most people break the tank down between uses and then start it over when needed. Many people keep a filter of some kind in the sump of their main tank and then fill QT with a mix of new SW and main tank water and add the "seeded" filter.

Here's another QT link I found useful.

http://www.reef-aquarium.net/resources/disease/qt.html

Thanks for the link, very useful link :) (y)

So It mean, better don't off the quarantine system even no fish, and have to maintaince the KH,CA, Gravity and so on... Hmm... feel costly for maintance the quarantine tank...

blorkiemom said:
Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka, Malay, Japanese & English.

blorkiemom said:
PPS I'm still very new, myself, so keep that in mind when you read my advice!

No worry, I take all advise for summary check. Thanks for reply and speak, this is helpful, better than got knowledge keep in mind without words. (I feel great and appreciate you all here, members here never let me down when I have question. :))

Hmm... I think I will setup 38 liters quarantine tank, reason I read the artice about the "Quarantine" they are recommended to put in a single fish. May ask, it really only put in single fish? How about if I bought 3-4 different fish? so I need to setup 4-5 quarantine tanks? :(

I was going to do a 10G ( 38L ) but the folks here talked me into a 20G because it's easier to maintain--and they were right. A 10 will do, but if you can do a 20, I think you'll find it easier. Pretty much everyone recommends adding new fish to the main tank one at a time (unless you are introducing a pair of clowns or a school of chromis or somthing) because it's better for the tank: adding fish one at a time gives the tank time to catch up with the bio-load, and that will help avoid spikes in ammonia or other water quality issues. So you only need one QT.

If you introduce a new fish to the QT while there are other fish still in it, your quarantine period starts over for the whole tank.

So It mean, better don't off the quarantine system even no fish, and have to maintaince the KH,CA, Gravity and so on... Hmm... feel costly for maintance the quarantine tank...

I think you are asking if it's better to leave the tank running empty. No, I don't think so. Here's how it might work: Set up QT. Put fish in for 4 weeks; add fish to main tank. Put new fish in QT. Wait 4 weeks; add to main tank. Put new fish in QT . . . and so on. So your QT will be used continously while you initially stock your tank (with maybe a few days or a week in between while you are looking for your next fish). Once the main tank is stocked, you can break down the QT tank. If you've done proper QT and don't introduce anything new, there's little chance your fish will get sick. If they do, you've got a spare filter pad floating in your sump and you can use that along with main tank water from a water change to start the (now hospital) tank up again. Make sense?

blorkiemom said:
Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka, Malay, Japanese & English.

Very cool! I speak one language. And that sometimes not so well.:D

blorkiemom said:
I was going to do a 10G ( 38L ) but the folks here talked me into a 20G because it's easier to maintain--and they were right. A 10 will do, but if you can do a 20, I think you'll find it easier. Pretty much everyone recommends adding new fish to the main tank one at a time (unless you are introducing a pair of clowns or a school of chromis or somthing) because it's better for the tank: adding fish one at a time gives the tank time to catch up with the bio-load, and that will help avoid spikes in ammonia or other water quality issues. So you only need one QT.

Hmm... Thanks for the advice, I will take as a notice comment. :)

blorkiemom said:
If you introduce a new fish to the QT while there are other fish still in it, your quarantine period starts over for the whole tank.

Can I re-uses the water back and add in again the chemical for the next new fish into the QT?

blorkiemom said:
I think you are asking if it's better to leave the tank running empty. No, I don't think so. Here's how it might work: Set up QT. Put fish in for 4 weeks; add fish to main tank. Put new fish in QT. Wait 4 weeks; add to main tank. Put new fish in QT . . . and so on. So your QT will be used continously while you initially stock your tank (with maybe a few days or a week in between while you are looking for your next fish). Once the main tank is stocked, you can break down the QT tank. If you've done proper QT and don't introduce anything new, there's little chance your fish will get sick. If they do, you've got a spare filter pad floating in your sump and you can use that along with main tank water from a water change to start the (now hospital) tank up again. Make sense?

Wow! Have to QT for 4 weeks huh? So long? Hmm... (QT almost like medical check-up & maintains :))

blorkiemom said:
Very cool! I speak one language. And that sometimes not so well.:D

;) no choice, our country have a lot of different religion, they speak different languages, they will happy if I can speak their languages. :)

Back
Top Bottom