question about conversation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bomber79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the middle of cycling a new tank for saltwater, but now thinking about turning it back to freshwater. If I did that what would I have to do to my sand, and could I still use the rock as decorations?

Seems to me you'd have to replace the water but a solid rinse if everything else would be fine. Never done it, so not sure. But freshwater fish don't mind a touch of salt, so a good rinse and I'd think you'd be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are fish that do mind a touch of salt. Cory catfish as just one example.

What kind of sand? What kind of rock? What kinds of fish are you planning to stock? The answers to those questions may make a difference. Not all rocks and sand are good for freshwater.

I'm using fine sand with a little coral mixed in. It's going to be a cichlid tank. All the structures will be made out of river style rock

It still depends on the kind of cichlid, but if they like high pH (because of the coral in the sand) that should be fine. River rock should be fine. A minute amount of salt should not be a problem. Best wishes with the tank!

Back
Top Bottom