Question about corals and feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I have my first 3 corals in my tank, they have all been in the tank roughly 10 days.
I have a Florida Ricordea, a Colt Coral frag, and a neon green Goniporea? Frag (Flower pot). I know the flower pot is a hard coral to keep alive long term, but it was given to me for free, and seems to be quite happy in my tank so far.
I am pretty confused on what/if I need to buy to feed these guys.
I have target fed the ricordea frozen brine twice now, and it ate both times. Ive seen it poop once. It looks like it has gotten bigger since I got it, and opens up nicely every day, but it seems like it is less orange than when I got it.......
I have also fed the flower pot frozen brine, and while I have no idea if it really actually eats the brine, the heads all close in together over it and stay that way for a while. Hopefully that means its eating. This little guy is bright green, fully opens and extends it heads every day. Very cool coral. Hope I can keep it happy.
The colt took several days to fully open after I got it, but it seems quite happy now and the frag opens up fully to just over 2 inches daily. Have not fed it b/c I am not sure what to feed it.

There are sooooooo many coral foods/vitamins/etc out there, I am totally overwhelmed on what I should be feeding them. I plan to get more ricoreas, softies, and a couple LPS corals as the tank matures further.
What is the best foods and or vitamins to feed these types of corals? Any help in narrowing down what I really do and dont need to purchase would be so greatly appreciated.

Tank specs, 37 gallon tall tank, 40+ Lbs live rock, tao full spectrum dimmable LED at 50%, hydor slim skimmer, eheim canister w/ sponges, chemipure & purigen.
1 fire shrimp, 2 occ clowns (1 inch ea), 2 hermit crabs, a handful of astrea & nasaurius snails, corals as listed above.

The corals you have do not require food. They are photosynthetic. Just keep up with your water changes to replace trace elements that they use up

The corals you have do not require food. They are photosynthetic. Just keep up with your water changes to replace trace elements that they use up

I'd feed the goniopora cyclopeeze, rotifers, anything small. All the other corals require no feeding though.

If you do get corals that need other food I like coral frenzy and fuel in my reef tank. They both work very well and I'd think you could get them at a local fish store. Good luck!

Ok, so my weeky water changes should suffice for thier nutrients. So, when the I feed the flower pot, and it closes in over the food, it is eating it right?
Can/should I feed the ricordea meaty foods occasionally? It seems to really like when I have fed it brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom