Question about cycling a tank that just restarted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay I just restarted on of my 10 gal tanks and I left some water in the bottom with the gravel and it has some snails in it when I took the water out of it because i was planning on refilling it but I never got around to it. Do you think I'll need to put a fish in to cycle it? I know you can do fishless cycles but I don't wanna really buy chemical ammonia and stuff like that ....would the snails do it cuz they're still alive after being in that water for a few weeks.

Unless there are a hoard of snails probably not quickly. You could definately partly fishless cycle if you filled up the tank, put the filter back in place and began to heavily feed your snails. I have a 10gallon snail breeder tank that amazes me when I look at the substrate. So much snail waste builds up on the surface I have to do heavy gravel vacs at least once a week. All that waste is definately creating a good bit of ammonia, but again you need to have quite a few to have a large enough bioload to support the fish.

I was just going to uncrowd my 20 gal with either my mollies or something. I can just stick a betta fish in it or something, it's not going to hurt I was just wondering if I'd have to totally recycle it @__@

you'll prolly go through a small cycle, nothing like the first major cycle, might last 2 days or so, you should be fine, just keep an eye on your levels

Back
Top Bottom