question about fish locations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont get the question? Some are more desirable, hense the higher price.

I guess I should say, "What is the difference, other than where they actually come from?" Different colors? If it is colors how do I find out which look better?

Again the question is pretty vague. A lot of factors go into fish pricing. Availability in the area, mortality rate, color, desirability, rarity, etc etc.

A common fish easily bred in captivity will be far less then a rare wild caught fish.

Like an A. Ocellaris vs. Japanese Pigmy Angel. You are looking at $15 vs. $1300.

Marc, I think he means that the same fish is different prices from two different areas. Not a vague question at all. I could never figure out their reasoning. I assume there is slight coloration differences in the fish collected from a different area. Maybe more rare if from that area? Maybe send an email to liveaquaria?

Devilishturtles said:
Marc, I think he means that the same fish is different prices from two different areas. Not a vague question at all. I could never figure out their reasoning. I assume there is slight coloration differences in the fish collected from a different area. Maybe more rare if from that area? Maybe send an email to liveaquaria?

Thanks....that's what I was trying to figure out.

Why spend 25 bucks for a firefish from Coral Sea/Maldives when one from Indo Pacific is 9? doesn't say anything about being different sizes or anything. Just trying to find out what the difference is & why.

I think it has to do with the site that you go to. Do you have a LFS near you that you can go and look at the fish in person? I have not bought fish online so I don't know about the whole shipping and not getting what I asked for bit. I would suggest checking out a LFS near you first. Online you will see a huge swing in prices from one site to the next...they have the right to charge what ever they want and thats pretty much all the difference. Well that and the less expensive fish is probably smaller then the more expensive one of the same type.

HTH

Ohhhh lol...

I agree with DT, email LA. I would suspect something has to do with how far away and how much it costs LA to get it to thier facility.

we do....I was just looking at prices online so I will have an idea what they will be around when we go to buy.

thanks

Steven Pro said:
In some instances, a fish from a certain locale will look slightly different than that same species from a different places. But, more importantly, some areas of collection are known for using suspect collection, holding, handling, and shipping practices that lead to higher mortalities. Take a look at these articles I wrote on the subject:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/ft/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-01/sp/index.php

Thank you for the links.....that's exactly what I was looking for!

Back
Top Bottom