Question about how to cover the top of my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnestroy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40Gal Breeder tank, Its kinda an odd size so I've never had a real cover/lid for the tank.

I alawys just used plexyglass with a decent size square cut out for me to feed the fish etc...

I have recently switched t salt water and I wanted to know two things.

The current square is fairly large it leaves about 1/2 of the light exposed directly to to the water, when I was doing fresh water is wasnt a big deal but now i'm doing saltwater and i see a lot of build up on the bulbs etc.

I my ultimate question is, If i were to buy a new sheet of plexyglass and have it so it covers all of the top, except room for hoses etc would this be okay?

Would the light be able to pass through the plexyglass without being effected? (if i want to do do coral etc)

Thanks!

You do not want to cover the top of your tank. It will cause CO2 exchange problems and my drop your PH. If you are concerned about fish jumping use some eggcrate (light cover)

Egg Grate

I did some searching for Egg Grate and sounds promising...

What about other things climing out of the tank? I know in fresh water I would have a heck of a time keeping Crabs and Crawfish in my tank.

What type of lights? If you go with metal halides, you should have them up atleast 6-8". At that distance, salt creep shouldn't really be an issue.

I used egg crate to cover my tank.

Pics half way down: HERE

Just a normal Fluorescent light, 2 36" bulbs... I had another smaller 2 bulb kit...

When I ran fresh water I tried both but it was super bright and caused a lot of algee.

Should I try using all 4 bulbs again now that I got some live rock and salt water?

If so what type of bulbs do I want? :)

Sorry for changing this topic.

You can also use an Aquarium Screen Tank Top which is designed with heat resistant wire and will not build up CO2 or block the light too much.

Also if your water parameter are good then even heavy lighting will not cause algae. What is your ph/sg/temp/nh3/no2/no3/po4?

Do you use ro/di water? Is this a new tank setup? Have you cycled the tank?

I looked at that screen top you posted tecwzrd. I would be extremely cautious about putting that over my tank. They say it is made with galvanized wire and then coated but with that many welds and being moved and flexed I promise it has bare metal exposed somewhere. I promise you do not want rusted metal dripping into your tank. Besides I did not see one the correct size for my tank. :D

Back
Top Bottom