Question about light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im going to start this post by saying the advice im going to give is a really bad way of determining this, but its probably the best we can do unless you are prepared to buy the light, get a par meter and test the fitting, which would be OTT for what you are trying to put together.

I cant find anything on your light fitting that is useful towards its ability to growing plants apart from it saying its good and its wattage, 7w.

Using wattage is a very bad way of determining the amount of light you need for an aquarium, but prior to LEDs 2 to 5 watts per gallon was considered a good range for growing plants. If we assume that an LED uses 1/3 of the wattage that an old fashioned non LED light does for the same output, then we can assume this light is equivalent to a 21 watt non LED fitting. At 2 watts per gallon for low light demanding plants, this light fitting would be suitable for around a 10 gallon tank.

This is a very rough and ready calculation, knowing lumens would be better, measuring par better still.

The tank you are looking is 20 to 25 litres? So say 5 or 6 gallons. The light you are looking at should be fine for low demand plants.

I was worried it might ''burn'' the plants,i won t use co2.

Back
Top Bottom