Question about my new built in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bangkokbandit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've just bought a new aquarium which has a built in filter in the corner.
I'm just wondering why it has three gaps in the bottom section where the pump is situated. Does anyone have any experience with these kind of filters?

I have another tank that is smaller but has a similar built in filter but without the gaps.

It just seems to me that less water will be passing through the filter media as it can just come through the gaps straight to the pump and be squirted back into the main tank.

I am wondering if i should block these gaps but i think they must be there for a reason.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,, thanks.IMG_20150204_141527.jpg

Hi there,
Looks to me like the gaps probably help to pull water through the filter media, as water accelerates past the bottom of the media, it will pull from the top. Either way, my guess is it will work ok for you. It is definitely a bit different than most of the common filters out there.

Neat filter design. I am assuming the pump spits water out on the side of the filter and the water flows in through the slats on the top.

If that's the case then the openings near the water pump are there in case the water level gets too low, there will still be some water flowing into the pump so it doesn't risk running dry and burning out. So leave the slats there, they are mildly important :)

I like the design, I might try a DIY version of that sometime... In fact that might be awesome for my 20g. It's ran off of a sponge filter atm.

Thanks for reply.

Yes i think you're right.

I have same setup on 20 gallon and it does sumtimes end up running dry when enough water evaporates.

I'm really happy with the one on 20 gallon, is easy to change media and keeps the tank really clean, think it would be a pretty cheap and easy diy option too.

the water will flow in from the top and be returned from the bottom of the filter. You can fill up those chambers with different types of media, sponges, bio rings, scrubbie pads, purigen...theres enough room in there for lots of different options.

agree with the others those slats are so the filter wont run dry if the water level gets lower then the top overflow

Back
Top Bottom