Question about my water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently mixed up a batch of saltwater, it was mixed for 48 hours.

I then bottled the mixture and removed all air from the bottle before storing it in a dark place.

Now I'm coming to use the water (I bottled it maybe a week ago) it has a distinct smell to it, it doesn't smell stale, just, different.

I didn't notice the smell before bottling but then, I didn't really pay attention to the smell!

So, I was just wondering if this is just the smell of the salt mixture in the salt or something else?

Anyone here keep there batches of saltwater constantly agitated? Does it develop a slight smell?

did u have a powerhead in the container or a bubble stone? if water sits and doesnt get mixed with anything it will start to get a fowl smell and needs to be thrown away.

When I mixed the batch, it was in a large container with a bubble stone.

Once the mixture was complete, I emptied it into 2 litre bottles, squeezing all the air out.

The mixture was then just stored away in a dark place, in the sealed bottles.

The only smell I would be leary about is if it smells like rotten eggs. That`s Hydrogen Sulfide. If it even has a faint smell of that dont use it.

Back
Top Bottom