question about plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
do Anubias Hastifolia, or Anubias Congensis grow good attached to driftwood? or what would you recommend? I have a 75 gallon tank with 2 oscars(small right now about 2")(getting better as time goes if you followed my other thread) and an electric blue dempsey, I have 2 nice pieces of driftwood in the center with slate caves on the side, I would like to add a couple plants each to the driftwood and probably 1 on either side in the back. only thing is, with the oscars and dempsey, I use low light because that is what they like. my bulb now is 5500K pet med 4' bulb.

I would say yes because anubias is a plant that can tolerate low light and it will attach to the wood. Dont plant it or the rhizome with rot and turn your water bad

you mean not plant it in the substrate? so attaching it to driftwood is good, should I do it with thread or superglue, I have heard both methods work decent.

He means do not bury the rhizome - the little part at the base that almost looks like a bulb. The rhizome should be completely above the substrate or at least partially exposed (safe bet is to keep it above).

+1 Don't bury the rhizome. It can kill the plant. I had luck attaching my anubias nana to driftwood by simply jamming the rhizome into a hole in the wood. It's been in place a few months and is firmly attached. Thread is probably the better option for anubias since they have big thick rhizomes. Superglue works well on Java ferns if you're careful not so cover the entire rhizome.

Anubias would be an excellent selection for both low light and attaching to wood. Some other options are both Java Ferns and Mosses.

I like to take some twisty tie and attach the rhizome to a piece of fishing line weight, then bury it in the substrate. You can also attach it to driftwood and it will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom