Question about the benefits of Aquarium Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FriscoTX

Aquarium Advice Regular
When is it appropriate to use salt in a freshwater tank? Are certain species of fish going to benefit from salt moreso than others? What kinds of salt can be used? Should I purchase the stuff at the lfs?

I do not use salt in freshwater tanks. IMO it is unnecessary unless treating for sickness. Some people swear by it though. If it is a true freshwater tank (not brackish), then Freshwater Aquarium salt can be used.

IMO the only fish that would benefit from salt would be a brackish specie. But you would use marine salt, not freshwater salt. Scaleless species do not appreciate salt and it can be fatal.

Oh man, I didn't think I'd ever type the word "salt" that many times in one post. lol

I am by no means an expert but here are some of the things I have learned:

Salt can be good for treating some illnesses, such as Ich (depending on what fish you have). It changes the Osmotic pressure of the fish so can essentially flush the system of the fish and help fight illness. If you have or plan on getting scaleless fish such as Plecos or Cories salt can "burn" them and it is not advisable to use. I also read somewhere that it can reduce the effects of Nitrite poisoning, so it can be useful in a fishy cycle. But for the most part, if you are going to be running a normal community tank, salt is not necessary. Even fish like Mollies which many people say need salt, do not really need salt unless they were Wild Caught. Most captive bred Mollies are raised in freshwater tanks and will do quite well without salt.

My opinion is salt is nice to have around incase it is needed but I don't normally use it in my tank. Once I am done treating an illness I remove the salt though a series of water changes.

That is correct Empty, salt helps against Nitrite poisoning.

Mollies are a debatable subject. It is true that they have been bred for so long in freshwater environments that they do not need salt. But if they are wild caught, they require marine salt, not freshwater salt. Most, if not all, that you will come across are tank bred.

There are two types of basic salts:
Freshwater: Used to fight off ich, nitrite poisoning, and other sick illnesses
Marine: Used for brackish and saltwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom