Question bout lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a 20 gallon high tank i converted to saltwater. Considering using the marineland reef capable led lighting system with timer would this be good for low-mid light corals? or would I be able to use the stock light fixture with a 20k bulb or another bulb to grow those? been looking online but can't really find much see 1 thing in a article next article says something else. for example i read you should have 3-5 watts per gallon of light the next article said 4-8 wpg. then another said forget that rule it is outdated and useless nowadays. the read a a couple articles saying a single flourescent fixture could grow corals. So after 8 moths of reading up i'm no closer to knowing for sure what i need then i was 8 months ago. Any suggestions with lighting here? hoping to be able to adjust this set up to my 55gallon later too but focused on my 20 right now. What really got me messed up is i got a 24 gallon jbj dx and that light pulls 36 watts so no where near that wpg rule and supposedly it will grow low-mid light corals. only corals i want to grow are zoas and maybe a branching coral for when i expand to seahorses so they can wrap tailsaround the branches. :banghead:

I can tell you the reef capable suck. I had one before with the built in timer It is not what it's cracked up to be. After the mistake of purchasing it I went with the coralife 4 bulb t5ho it was great. Now I've ditched that and use a 120w dimmable led that you can get off ebay for $118. Some of the well known people on here use that fixture.

thanks been getting mixed reviews so knew needed to ask here community been great helping me transition into saltwater from fresh. Seems as long as coral keeping been going on now when it comes to lighting you get so many theories an each article contradicts the last article so confusing. you mentioned ebay how reliable is getting things from there? never used ebay been registered there since it first came on the scene but nervous that i'd pay for something an never get it. which led you use? kinda leaning toward led just dont know which 1 to get.

I was in your spot a few months ago with my 20 gallon high I converted to my first nano reef. I bought one Finnex Ray 2 at first with my old T5s HO set up that I had together. A few weeks ago I bought another Ray 2 and ditched the T5s; so I have 2 of the Finnex Rays on there and it looks absolutely amazing! I would highly recommend them. I bought them both off of amazon: Amazon.com: Finnex Ray2 Aquarium Day/Actinic LED Light, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies

thanks located finex comming bout a week

You have full recourse if you use a credit card to buy online. Ebay, amazon, or whatever. I got my money refunded from a deal on a blackberry I bought from China that was malfunctioning. The recourse is global. No reason to fear.

That said, those finnex rays are awful weak. I wouldn't suggest anything that uses less than 1 watt LEDs for a small tank. Andy, please review your fixtures to include coral growth and coloration. Pics would be great as well.

new light idea how would 24 inch Aqualife expandable led light 36 watt fare on 20 tall?

great that will work seen that before thought 120w might be too much on a 20 greatly appreciated pointing out can use it that save a good bit cash.

The LEDs X has put a link to is what I have recently purchased and I love it. It makes acclimating new coral to the light super easy because it you can dim it. You also have a year warranty so if anything goes wrong you can get it replaced.

that going to definetly be on my 20. thanks all I was lost on lighting.

I got the same light last week!! Huge difference in the tank and with corals. I'll never buy t-5's or anything else again.

I used t5's in fresh water befoe years ago those were what I was originally looking at. I read though forget where that led's were better so started looking at those article said something like a 120 watt led was equivalent to 250 watt mh so thought led should help keep my electric bill in check an i can set up all my tanks instead of 3. I got 2 or 3 5gallon tanks 6 more 20's but the long ones stored here 4 more stored at my dad's 6 more at my moms. used to have them all running breeding guppies and mollies in fw world grew tired of breeding those the pet store i supplied i couldn't keep up with the lady kept calling telling me hurry up like i could control how fast i had fish big enough to sale lol. Right now finishing light upgrade to 20 high then i got to upgrade lighting on my 55 an get some sand in it had this one running 18 years before tank crashed so this summer gave away the guppies pulled the sand an threw out the old filter thing was a dinosaur an loud but i was use to it didn't bother me but i liked the filter i threw on the 20h quiet.

Back
Top Bottom