question on anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i know that my tank to too young right now for one but i am going to do a lighting up grade in the next week or so. i cant get a mh because the tank is just to small to fit both bulbs and the pc in the top. so i am looking at just getting more pc i was thinking 1 or 2 more 96 watt pc. if i get one more i would have a total of 3 96 watt pc on the tank one 03 one 10000k and then the new one would be a 50/50. if i got 2 more i would have 2 96 watt 03 and 2 96 watt 10000k on the tank. would this be able to have an anemone?

I would opt for the 4x96w total but it will also depend on how deep the tank is and what species of anemone you may end up choosing. Preferabley TR clones will be available by the time the tank is matured enough.

What species of clowns do you have?

Cheers
Steve

i have one ocellaris clown. my tank is 18" deep that is about 18" of water in it. so would it be possible to rase one with the PC? and do TR anemones need less light or some thing? and the tank had been set up since the last week in dec of 2003.

WarOrks15 said:
so would it be possible to rase one with the PC?
Yes but I would still opt for the 4x96w. The main species of anemone that should really be avoided unless using MH lighting is the carpets Stichodactyla sp.

and do TR anemones need less light or some thing?
They need the same light considerations but being tank raised, they are very well adapted to captive life as a rule. Other than the reef keeper, the main downfall in the anemone is usually at the collection/transport stage in which it is severely stressed or damaged. Purchasing a specimen that is has been TR, will hoppefully eliminate those dangers and then it primarily comes down to your husbandry and the health of your sytem. That does not mean it should be rushed into or purchased before the tank has had the proper time to mature.

and the tank had been set up since the last week in dec of 2003.
Your tank is still a good 6-8 month away from being ready IME but given enough research and increased understanding in their care you may be just fine. Hopefully by then, cloned anemones will be much more readily available in the hobby, or we can hope at least. Personally I will not place an anemone in a tank that is less than 2 years old.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom