Question regarding filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessipanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I will be tearing down my 55g soon to redo it simply because I've become bored with it and want to start over. I was planning on using a corner sponge filter, but was given a rather nice canister filter recently that I am actually loving which makes it difficult for me to decide.

As I was looking at my tank tonight, trying to decide what to do I thought....why not utilize both together? As in, install the corner sponge, but use the canister with it.

I tried searching online to see if anyone has ever tried this (which is highly unlikely because, well...just why...?) but of course found nothing at all. Anyone have any opinions on this? Good idea? Terrible idea? Any potential issues that could go along with this?

TIA :)

I was thinking the same thing.
One possible issue that could potentially arise though...maybe issues due to the sponge making it harder for the canister to suck in water? If that were to happen, it would potentially put extra strain on the pump that it isn't designed for. But I really don't see that being an issue.... Lol and I know this is a strange idea because most people use one OR the other. I just always have to be a typical indecisive woman. ?

One possible issue that could potentially arise though...maybe issues due to the sponge making it harder for the canister to suck in water?

I have a Fluval prefilter sponge on one of my Aquaclears: It does cut into the flow a little bit, but not as much as I feared. However, it does clog quickly. I've ordered a sponge with larger pores to hopefully avoid that in the future. You might want to keep that in mind for your canister, too. Meanwhile, it's pretty quick to clean them by squeezing them in tank water. :)

Back
Top Bottom