Question regarding fishless cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm aquiring a 10 gal established tank. The tank is being torn down (drained) just so I can move it to my house. What should I do as far as starting the cycle. I'm keeping the same substrate and tank decor.

Refill it and start-up the filter and such as soon as you get it home. Do NOT "wash" the filter media or gravel... leave it alone... it's full of bacteria that you WANT! :) (If the inside of the glass is dirty, feel free to wipe it clean with paper towels or cloth, but don't use windex or other chemicals.)

If the stuff stays damp the entire time (or even dry, but not for more than a couple hours) the bacteria should stay alive just fine and the tank will "stay" cycled... will be ready to add fish immediately.

(Oh... a bottle of water conditioner to dose the "new" tap-water.)

+1

If you can save a bucket of the old aquarium water, put as much of the gravel and filter media as you can in the bucket for transportation. You may see a mini cycle, but it's a heck of a lot better than having to totally cycle the tank again.

I got it home, never "dried out" but i did wipe out the inside glass because my friend didnt do much maint. on his stuff. The only problem i see is that he tossed out the old filter before giving it to me, but i did use all the same substrate and some plants from my already established tank. Im going now to get some test strips cuz im out and a filter and ill let you know my findings. Depending on the reading no fish will go in for atleast 2 days.

make sure you keep an ammonia source in the tank or the bacteria will die... also, if you can afford it, get a liquid test kit... the API Master FW Test will give you alot more accurate results that strips

make sure you keep an ammonia source in the tank or the bacteria will die... also, if you can afford it, get a liquid test kit... the API Master FW Test will give you alot more accurate results that strips

ill give that a shot..if they have it in stock.

Those test kits are only about 30 quid, which compared with the cost of everything else to do with fish keeping, isn't bad at all.

Ok, so I got everything squared away all the levels are good and everything transfered over quite well. The person who gave me everything threw away the filter but I just used some of the "gunk" from my established tanks filter. It worked out fine. My established tank was crowded with the addition of the 4 white skirts so I put my 7 neons in the 10 gal. They're doing quite well now that I've balanced everything out. Next step is a female betta...when I find one. They're harder than I thought to find.

Back
Top Bottom