Question reguarding males of any kind of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it 100% totally necessary to have atleast ONE male in with your female fish? I mean i know they can breed but is it really bad to just have all females? Fish like platy, gouramis..etc...
Just curious?:cool:

:thanks:

Absolutely not. Males or females are fine on their own. People tend to stock just males in tanks where they don't want breeding to occur because in general the males have better finnage and colorations.

All of one sex or lone fish works out better many times. I imagine the girls are just as happy not to have males in the tank.

It's not necessary at all, I keep a all male Malawi peacock tank but with that comes other challenges like aggression.

IME it has been suggested to keep a male with females, because the presence of the male will cause females to color up...which could end up with babies :) haha

haha yea...
Because We are getting a 100g tank in a month or so.. and IME ive always seen a little bit of aggression between males no matter how many females are in there to keep their attention. I was wanting to try and keep all females of like gouramis and maybe somthing else in with them.
I wasnt sure if having a male around helps them at all, or helps them be healthier, act better, and just be overall more happy.

Back
Top Bottom