Questions about Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

43Gallons

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm Bailey and I'm planning on starting two new tanks. I have dabbled in the fishkeeping world, but by no means am I an expert. I would like to put several varieties of tetras in my 20 gallon tank with some sword plants and java ferns. I'm wondering if there would be any problems here and if I need to know anything specific regarding these plants/fish. To cycle the tank, I am going to start with 2 head and tail light tetras, then add 3 lemon tetras and 3 black neons.

In my 32 gallon tank, I would like to place several gouramis with some red Tiger lotus plants. Unfortunately, I already have a rainbow shark in this tank whom I would like to send to a happy home because he is so territorial. However, I know that gouramis may not handle being used for cycling a tank, so I was wondering if I could use him to cycle the tank first, before I add gouramis. However it is done, I would like to add 6 dwarf gouramis to the tank (2 male and 4 female).

Please offer any advice you have to my situation and if my plan will work sufficiently. Thank you!

I haven't seen the head and tail light tetras but I imagine it would be fine though they do like to be in bigger groups...

I've noticed that dwarf gouramis are VERY sensitive, almost up there with neons. I really doubt one could survive the cycle, so I wouldn't go that route. If you already have a tank that is set up you can 'seed' your new tanks with gravel and filter media from the mature tank. This will cut the cycling time way down. Look it up. Or you can just cycle your tank with pure ammonia.

All the dwarf gouramis I've seen are male. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but the females all have pale colors, so most pet stores don't sell them. You could probably find them online though.

You won't find many supporters for cycling a tank with fish. Besides the fact that it is very harmful to the fish and could kill it, that one single fish won't create enough waste to induce a fast cycle. More likely than not, your fish will just be sitting in ammonia filled water for a long period of time.

Fish-less cycling is much simpler and less labor-some. Cycling with a fish will require you to perform very frequent water changes to keep the fish alive. Cycling without fish will require you to do very infrequent water changes.

Here is a very detailed article on how to go about cycling without fish. I don't know why anyone would choose to cycle a tank with fish when it is this easy to do it without fish.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Okay thank you everyone! I've decided to doa fishless cycle, as it seems like the best way to go about things. I also changed my fish groups. I'll do 6 head and tail light tetras and 6 lemon tetras. Thank you for your advice, I intend to keep these fish for a long times and I want to give them the best life possible! :grin:

Reactions: HN1
Okay thank you everyone! I've decided to doa fishless cycle, as it seems like the best way to go about things. I also changed my fish groups. I'll do 6 head and tail light tetras and 6 lemon tetras. Thank you for your advice, I intend to keep these fish for a long times and I want to give them the best life possible! :grin:

Good job! That's the right attitude!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom