Questions about Crabs dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thor32766

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have had a couple crabs dye in my tank. My fish are all doing great. But just cant seem to keep crabs. I have a ton of live rock in my tank, so there should be plenty of food. Let me know if any one has any suggestions on what to check for or what it might be.

thanks for your time
brian

Can you give us a little more info about your tank? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate readings. How long has the tank been set up? How did you acclimate the crabs? What kind of crabs were they? Have you ever treated the tank with medications? If you can be a little more specific we should be able to help you out.

tripper

If they are hitchhiker crabs then this is probably a good thing.

not really...things dieing in a tank is a pretty good indicator something is wrong, the exception would be incorrect acclimation.

Probably high nitrates or lack of proper acclimation (drip over a few hours is best for most inverts). Suggest you run your parameters and see where you stand. Most fish can withstand high nitrates but the same cannot be said for inverts. Good luck!

KG

Might be worth mentioning which fish you have too - some of them give crabs quite a hard time.

Over how long are you seeing the deaths? Are you sure it's not just a molt? They can look an awful lot like a dead crab. They also like to hide at night. If they are "dissapearing", trying turning the lights out for an hour or so and coming back with a flashlight to see if you can spot any of them.

Goodluck.

Back
Top Bottom