Questions about UV LEDs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amitnarain

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. i just bought 50 UV LEDs. below are the specs.

DC Forward Voltage: Typical: 3.2 V Max: 3.6 V
Luminous Intensity : Typ: 3,000 mcd
Wavelength: 395-405nm
DC Forward Current: 20mA

plz help me on:
1. How many to put in a 2feet tank?
2. Is it good for the fish? mostly gold fish.
3. Is it good for plants?
4. Will that discourage algae growth?

Thank u very much.

I was waiting for someone to chime in. I wanted to say they are probably not good to use in this application but did'nt have the guts to say it. I know you should never stare at a UV-A light of any kind, and I thought it may damage the tanks inhabitants eyes, but I wasn't sure.

Sicklid said:
I was waiting for someone to chime in. I wanted to say they are probably not good to use in this application but did'nt have the guts to say it. I know you should never stare at a UV-A light of any kind, and I thought it may damage the tanks inhabitants eyes, but I wasn't sure.
glad i could stick my neck out there for ya! :wink: :p

as for hurting your inhabitants... i would think that extended exposure to UVA would have some detrimental effects on livestock... but i dont know how bad it would be. fish (etc.) are exposed to UV radiation pretty much every day, but the intensity and duration of the UV in the tank vs the UV from the sun would have to be compared.

im sure there are some studies out there from some graduate students who studied the effects of increased UV exposure to fish... i mean, everything else in the world has a study on it... why shouldnt this. :D

~mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom