Questions on a few species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been doing a bit of research on what species I think I might like to add, but have bene getting some mixed reviews on if they're easy to take care of / what they'll eat etc. I like getting peoples input who've had experience with them.

I quite like the Auriga Butterfly. I've read its easy to care for and would be comfortable in a 55 gallon. If so, are these guys safe to keep with a large skunk cleaner shrimp or peppermints? I've heard they may eat ornimental shrimp.

Same goes with the valentini puffer/ saddle toby & blue dot puffer. My boyfriend loves em but again ive read they'll eat ornimental shrimp / crabs etc.

the LFS also had ( probably will be gone by the time I want to get another fish) a wrasse that wasnt labeled as this:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse but looks exactly identical. Any input on these would be great, too!

I thought about replacing my yellow tang ( especially with plans to upgrade possibly next year or so) but I havent been impressed with the ones at the LFS.. may have to go driving. we'll see..

Ive pretty nuch steered clear of a mandarin.. I dont think my 55 gal with 60# of live rock and no refugium would keep it alive for long unfortunatly. I'll just have to stick with looking at pictures!!

thanks as always :)

I think if the fish "may" eat ornamental shrimp then, its probably not a good match if you have peppermints and cleaners in the tank.

The puffer is usually found in an aggressive FO/FOWLR tank.

I think if the fish "may" eat ornamental shrimp then, its probably not a good match if you have peppermints and cleaners in the tank.

The puffer is usually found in an aggressive FO/FOWLR tank.

With the auriga - Its hard to imagine such a tiny mouth could eat a big skunk cleaner though LOL Thats why I was so skeptical. Most places say they'll eat inverts, which I imagined to be corals etc, but wasnt sure if that ment shrimp larger than almost its whole body, too hah. If one has any personal experience with these that'd be great.

I told my boyfriend we are not getting a puffer and told him why, but he wanted me to ask anyhow hah... men :-D (snicker)

Although shrimp is part of their dietary span, I'd be more worried about coral polyps (Scleractinians), anemones, and various benthic fauna with the auriga. Diets can also be curbed imo/ime. Invertebrates are on every puffers menu, but their diets can be curbed as well if given the time. I'd be more prone in going against the grain with the puffer in a 55g than the auriga, but my methods are probably shunned by the majority of hobbyists.

Gotcha. My tank's still FOWLR with a CUC, no corals planned for a long time yet ( saving up for a good lighting system down the road, after a wedding etc heheh). Thanks for the info :)

This input will probably not do you much good, but as we all know, fish are categorized and yet each one has a personality all it's own. My white belly puffer is the most gentle fish I have, he's inhabited with snails and crabs and has yet to eat any of them. I watched one day in absolute horror the day he took the anenome tentacle in his mouth, ouch! He didn't seem to react but I can't imagine it felt great at all. Maybe I just got lucky with his passive personality...however I did add him last and that may be why. I don't know, but I know I really wanted him in that tank and he's worth it.

This input will probably not do you much good, but as we all know, fish are categorized and yet each one has a personality all it's own. My white belly puffer is the most gentle fish I have, he's inhabited with snails and crabs and has yet to eat any of them. I watched one day in absolute horror the day he took the anenome tentacle in his mouth, ouch! He didn't seem to react but I can't imagine it felt great at all. Maybe I just got lucky with his passive personality...however I did add him last and that may be why. I don't know, but I know I really wanted him in that tank and he's worth it.

That is true and has been discussed several times on the site. All fish are categorized based on their natural habits. Angle fish are a perfect example of this, some have them in their reef tanks for years with no issues and then one day something happens and the fish attacks their corals. You have to look at their natural behavior and decide if the risk is worth it to put that fish in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom