Questions on Snails and Hermit crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffaquarius

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 60 gal reef tank. I added 10 turbo snails and 10 hermits crabs. They did a very good job getting rid of all the nuisance algae. Question is, now that there is not much algae for them to feed shall I reduce their numbers or just give them algae wafers? My 2nd question is, is it possible that hermit crabs can be carnivorous? I noticed one of them on my flower pot coral and it left an empty spot after removing it which never recovered.

Yes, hermit crabs are omnivores. They are not to be trusted. That said, I've never seen them eat coral, but I have seen them kill and eat many healthy snails. they would change into the snails shell, and do it over and over and over. I saw one change shells 3 times in one day.

If you don't have enough food in the tank for your inverts, they will starve, bottom line.

The hermits will kill your snails if they are hungry or if they need a bigger shell. I feed mine sinking pellets. You'll also want to add a few different sized empty shells to the tank to give them upgrade living options.

They will kill your snails out of sheer instinct. There is no way that hermit crab I spoke of needed to eat 3 large snails in one day.

Back
Top Bottom