Questions ......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am converting an All Glass Aquarium 72gal bowfront from FW to SW. It currently has a 20gal wet/dry filter/sump, and 2x 22w normal FW florescent lighting.

I am looking at doing a FOWLR system and am anticipating having the following fish in the tank (at least to start, may add more later):
* Percula Clown
* Yellow Tang
* Blue Tang
* Royal Gramma Basslet
* Peppermint Shrimp

I am considering Soft Corals and anenomies at a later date (beginning of 2007 at the earliest).

My questions are:

1a) Has anyone heard of or used T6 lighting? b) would that be acceptable for what I am wanting to do? c) do I even need to change my current lighting?

2) Would a skimmer for a 100gal tank be large enough?

3) Would approximately 75lbs of live rock be ok? (my wife and I have a rough design in mind for the tank. It might be a bit more or less not 100% sure right now).

4) What are some items to look for when purchasing LR?

5) Planning on seeding some current marine sand that I have, with some LS from one of the LFS's currently established tanks. Any concerns with this?

6) The tank was a SW setup prior to me aquiring it. It has a pretty strong water flow (almost too strong for my FW setup). I was considering purchasing 2 power sweep power heads (1 on each side of the tank). Would that be too much?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Sparkie

I'd consider a pair of clowns and only the yellow tang. The blue is gonna get too big and not rated for less than (i belive) a 125g tank. Also gonna have to add the yellow tang last since they can be agressive with fish added after he's already living there.

I'll also take a shot at some of your other Qs.

2) 100g skimmer would do fine IMO

3) Why not try to do 100lbs and mix it with dry/base rock? Cheaper that way and just as effective. More rock, better natural filtration. I run my skimmer very infrequently because of the natural filtration (LR, fuge).

4) Look for very pourous rock w/lots of crevices, nooks, and crannies. Weight doesn't matter as much as surface area. Might as well go for the cheaper-uncured rock and cycle the tank with it. Add the dry rock if you can also at that time.

5) no use to do that IMO if you go the route in #4 above. BTW, what kinda sand you got?

6) Water flow that doesn't stir up sand or create cloudy water cannot be too much IMO. Calculcate the # of gallons each PH is pushing and figure out how many times your 72g tank is passing thru them. I like anywhere from 10-15x.

Also, what you gonna have in the sump/wet/dry?

BTW. Welcome Sparkie! Where you from?

WELCOME TO AA!!!

1a) I could be wrong, but a quick search on T6 looks like they are the bulbs? I have the T5 lighting and love it.
1b) For a FOWLR, definitely. Not too sure about the corals, in the future
1c) I am not sure if FW lighting is the same as SW, at least in the lids.

I agree with austinsdad on the rest. It is recommended to set up a QT. Tangs are known to be ich magnets, so it is best to QT them and all new fish, before adding to your main.

Thanks for the welcome. I have been browsing around for a few days before I joined. SOOOOO much great advice on here, it is helping to get rid of the overwhelming feeling I was starting to get.

I live in Orlando, Florida.

I currently have bio-balls in the wet/dry, however am contemplating replacing them with LR pieces. Also do I need to add filter additives (i.e. carbon)

the sand is Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand. I had bought it for a FW tank, that I am tearing down. Here is a link to it on Drs Foster and Smith:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=7324&N=2004+113554

On the lighting I was going to switch to the CoraLife 50/50 bulbs, just wasnt sure if my fixtures were ok to keep for now ( i know that when I add corals, I will need to upgrade lighting)

On the LR, my wife wants to do a kind of different design than most that I have seen. She wants to have the center open with a sloping "mountain" on each side of the tank, of course having some swimming room behind/through the "mountains". Not sure if that would take 100lbs of LR????????????

am contemplating replacing them with LR pieces

Good choice!

do I need to add filter additives (i.e. carbon)
IMO, no.

Not sure on the black moon sand in SW. Might want to check on that a bit more. Maybe others will chime in on that.

Your wife's rock "design" might need you to hand pick rocks and create rockscapes with dry rock outside the tank and putty to piece'm together. Gotta be some place in FL that you can find LR that you can hand pick.

Maybe a new post asking for LR sugggestions in your area.

Have fun!

I definitely agree, replace the bio balls with LR.
That moon sand says it's good for SW and FW, but it is black, might make it hard to see some of your critters....Maybe someone has it and can assist...
The carbon helps with the clarity of the water. I haven't run carbon in at least a month, but I have some, if I need to run it. Some run theirs 1-2weeks a month, I guess it all depends on your water.
On the LR, my wife wants to do a kind of different design than most that I have seen.
If you/she is like me, I have a sneaking suspicion, she will re-aquascape it more than once....

The sand is more of a grayish color than black. I am sure that the design will change more than once

I dont think I would go with the blue tang either. Maybe a yellow and a kole tang.

I have the tahitian moon sand and i like it a lot. However, it does get dirty and its kind of a pain to keep clean because most of the stuff that falls off of the rocks is white or a light color. Aside from that its really nice sand and works well.

Back
Top Bottom