Quick Cardinal tetra wipeout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday afternoon, I saw a dead Cardinal tetra in my 10 gallon tank. Another looked sick. I had 7 cardinals, and this morning all but one are dead (and I can't find one, but I'm thinking it's dead in the tank somewhere). The last fish that's alive doesn't look like it has long left. The fish have been perfectly fine for 4 months, the tanks parameters are perfect, and the shrimp and snails are all ok. The only thing I changed the day before yesterday was I got a new heater. I took the temp up a couple degrees (to 78f). And that was a gradual change. Anybody have ideas to what could've caused this? And what I need to do to the tank before getting more fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Maybe a virus?

Has your food gone bad? Any chance someone poured anything in the tank (younger kiddos)?

Are the other snails/shrimp fine? I would do a 90% water change (don't touch the gravel or the filter media) and then wait a week or two before restocking.

I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Maybe a virus?

Has your food gone bad? Any chance someone poured anything in the tank (younger kiddos)?

Are the other snails/shrimp fine? I would do a 90% water change (don't touch the gravel or the filter media) and then wait a week or two before restocking.

Could be a virus, if so, I'm not sure which one..

Opened a new bottle of food a few weeks ago, and it doesn't expire until late this year. Nothing got into the tank that shouldn't.

All the other stock is 100% healthy. And I'll do a big water change soon.

Thanks.

Hmm, since they've been fine for 4 months, and now the big die off, that's pretty strange. Have you added anything else new within the last month or so? Any decor, equipment, etc?

Anything else change on the room you have them in? Such as remodeling(paint) or any oils?

What kind of a room is the tank in?

Hmm, since they've been fine for 4 months, and now the big die off, that's pretty strange. Have you added anything else new within the last month or so? Any decor, equipment, etc?

Anything else change on the room you have them in? Such as remodeling(paint) or any oils?

What kind of a room is the tank in?

I added a new heater a couple days ago (raised temp by 2-3 degrees) and a thermometer. That's it. Nothing else has changed.

Could you provide a detailed description of the sick fish please? Without one, its pretty impossible to tell you whats wrong.
Also a picture or short video would really help alot.

Could you provide a detailed description of the sick fish please? Without one, its pretty impossible to tell you whats wrong.
Also a picture or short video would really help alot.

They appeared healthy up until a few hours prior to their death. Once they were sick, they either layed at the bottom, or floated at the top on top of my plants. In some breathing was fast, for others not. Normal coloration. One fish started going crazy darting around the tank right before he died.

Can't get any photos or videos, as they're all dead.

Back
Top Bottom