Quick cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrinn23

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I take a filter pad from an established tank do I just place it in front of the new filter pad or what?

abrinn23 said:
If I take a filter pad from an established tank do I just place it in front of the new filter pad or what?

What type of filter? The penguins or emperor you can place it behind the new filter pad. Leave it in as long as you want.

I have the emperor 400 but I've already filled up the filter media tray with something. Guess ill just remove it!

Alright I put the established cartridge into my new filter but I'm not turning it on until morning, is that alright?

Haha yeah sorry I know it's confusing. This is my first "big" tank so water changes have been pretty easy in my 20 gallon. My lfs was out of the python and aqueon water changers so I'm picking one up tomorrow

I realize that this sounds stupid if I don't give you the back story. I gave my previous tank to my friend and right when I was walking out the door I realized I needed my filter cartridge. That's why it's just sitting there

I realize that this sounds stupid if I don't give you the back story. I gave my previous tank to my friend today and right when I was walking out the door I realized I needed my filter cartridge. That's why it's just sitting there[/QUOTE]

your mature media needs oxygenated water flowing through it to prevent the bacteria from dying off. the longer you leave it without that flow the more likely it will be that the filter will crash when you bio-load it

Probably should have known that haha...alright so to be on the safe side I should just go over and grab another one off of the old filters from my friends place?

The old filter cartridge has been sitting idly for around 10 hours or so

In my honest opinion.... I would, keep it wet and just drop it in. 10 hours just sitting around is a long time IMO

Yeah your absolutely right ill just do a quick swap later today. Thanks for the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom