Quick ich question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got some live bearers that were for sale as feeders in a bare bottom ten gallon. They came home with what appears to be ich to me. I've increased the temperature to 86 degrees as of yesterday, without adding salt.

When should I expect to see cysts start disappearing?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If they do not start going away at most a week after treatment began then it's likely a resistant strain and you need ich meds.

EDIT: during my case of ich and heat treatment in less than a week I could visibly notice signs of change that's why I said a week.
Caleb

Last edited:
Thanks. I like to keep things as simple as I can. I'll probably try salt if I don't have any success after a week. Then the meds will come into play.

What type of feeders?
If guppies, i know where you can get real wild decendend ones from florida failry cheap.....
Im not talking the culls they throw in ponds, i know a guy who collects them and breeds them and sells for like 4 pairs for 20

What type of feeders?
If guppies, i know where you can get real wild decendend ones from florida failry cheap.....
Im not talking the culls they throw in ponds, i know a guy who collects them and breeds them and sells for like 4 pairs for 20

It just said feeder livebearer mixed. I recognized the endlers, and maybe there are least killies in there, but not sure. Lost at least one, not sure though they stay hidden often.

It's been almost two weeks, no signs of improvement. The bumps are not super white, kind of a cream color now that I've looked closer. Any ideas.

86F, 7.6, cycled, haven't tested in months. Getting a picture is very unlikely.

It's been almost two weeks, no signs of improvement. The bumps are not super white, kind of a cream color now that I've looked closer. Any ideas.

86F, 7.6, cycled, haven't tested in months. Getting a picture is very unlikely.

I'd hit the store for some meds since heat isn't cutting it. Likely the resistant strain.

Caleb

Cream color still likely to be ich though? They're half spheres arched to the fish.

Cream color still likely to be ich though? They're half spheres arched to the fish.

Also, it doesn't appear to be affecting other fish, just the ones who've had it from the store. I mean, ich should work its way around the tank and not just sit idle for nearly 3 weeks right?

Adding salt after no results for 3 weeks with just heat. Was told by lfs employee (who seems to know his stuff, talked before) that salt would help if it is fungal and not ich. Salt was cheaper and I should know in a few days before I go buy the $8 little bottle.

The employee is one of the rate jewels at a big box store that actually cares. He started off by recommending that I quarantine the fish for treatment. When I told them they were feeders he said on his experience with feeders they usually end up with fungal problems from poor handling, but ich was another possibility.

Could you take a video on your phone or ipad or something?
Fungus does not just eat away at healthy tissue, so it probably is Ick and needs a medication like malachite green and formalin. You can find this at walmart ick guard or something.

Could you take a video on your phone or ipad or something?
Fungus does not just eat away at healthy tissue, so it probably is Ick and needs a medication like malachite green and formalin. You can find this at walmart ick guard or something.

They were sold as feeders, so "healthy" is a relative term. I'll try to get a video, but the tank doesn't have lighting so it'll be interesting.

Man that's tough. Never seen that on guppies before. Btw you got too much current tho for guppies.. no strong current... but I have no idea what that is too big to be ick. You can also take a fish out and put him in a glass bowl, like for a goldfish or beta, makes pictures or videos much much easier. Maybe someone else could help more, almost looks like a tumour to me man idk.
Edit: now that I see it better almost looks like tetrahymena aka NTD which is very deadly and incurable you might have to start from scratch and please sterilise everything that they have touched. NTD is not something to mess with, guppy killer! Tho I'm not 100% on that cuz NTD presents in more of a solid stripe brown lesion.......maybe take another video of a sick female in a glass bowl

I thought since the fish were tiny the bumps just looked bigger.

Good advice mebbid, ive never had to deal with that or a virus fortunately. Dosen't look exactly like NTD i agree...but, either way, since they are just feeders, and they have a virus, you might consider euthanizing them and stearlizing everything with bleach (including buckets, nets siphons) and start again. If you want some nice wild guppies or endlers try adrian hernendaz at swampriveraquatics.com out of florida, he ships nice healthy wild guppies and N class endlers.

Good advice mebbid, ive never had to deal with that or a virus fortunately. Dosen't look exactly like NTD i agree...but, either way, since they are just feeders, and they have a virus, you might consider euthanizing them and stearlizing everything with bleach (including buckets, nets siphons) and start again. If you want some nice wild guppies or endlers try adrian hernendaz at swampriveraquatics.com out of florida, he ships nice healthy wild guppies and N class endlers.

Yeah as soon as I read about it that's what came to mind. I might be getting some of those wild strain endlers he has up there, but they're pricey for something to breed feeders.

Back
Top Bottom