Quick Q re. liverock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS says their "cured liverock" is 100% ok to put straight into my tank, with no problems and ammonia spikes etc. Is this true? Do most people just put "cured" liverock straight into their main tanks?

When I set up my fowlr I got 55lbs of cured LR from my LFS and I ran the tank for a week with no sign of amm, so I dropped in a fish and it was all down hill from there. I knew that the LFS had this rock for a few months so it was cured no questions asked.
To be on the safe side get only a few pounds at first to try it out........ If you get a amm spike take it out....

So, the way to do it would be to put it into QT for a week (or two?) and see if I get an ammonia spike basically?

Yep that's basically it. If it's not cured you'll probably get ammonia readings pretty much right away but if there's no reading then wait a day or so to be sure then add it.

The way I do it is if I'm getting LR from their curing tanks then no matter how long they've had it I'll do a mini-cure.. but if I'm picking out a few pieces right from one of their fish/invert tanks then I'll add it straight to the main.

I've just been reading the article on curing LR...

Put it in a container, do waterchanges every other day for 2-3 weeks etc...

Is that not neccessary then - I simply get the LR from them (cured or uncured) put it into my QT and wait for...4 days (?) to see if I get an ammonia spike? If I don't get an ammonia reading within a week, I'm 100% ok to add it to my tank with no problems at all?

Is the week long enough, there's no possibility of the ammonia coming after the week? If it's not shown up within the week then it's definitely not there and is ok to put in my tank?

If I get an ammonia reading, do I just wait until the ammonia and nitrite have risen and gone back to 0, then add it to my tank say 3 days after both the levels have constantly been at 0?

On a sidenote, do you have to acclimate LR, or do you just pop it straight in?

I assume you would be adding it to your already set up system. I would qt it for a couple of week, never know if a parasite may come in on it.
The added bonus would be the extra curing time.

It all depends if you're getting cured or uncured LR.

I was talking about cured LR.. if it's uncured then you have to follow the instructions you read in that article and it will take a few weeks. IMO go for cured LR to save yourself the hassle. 9 times out of 10 you can just add it right to your tank from the LFS.

So, when they say it's cured, I should trust them? 8O

If it is cured, then what I said in my last post is right? ie. if a week passes then it's all good?

Quarryshark: I didn't know parasites could be transfered on LR?

I should qualify that. If there are fish in the tank with the rock (like my LFS does) then it is a possibility. If not and it has been in a fishless container for a while, then I wouldn't worry.
Some ebay purchased live sand brought ich into my system. All I'm saying is cover your bases so to speak.

I'm getting cured liverock, and regardless of where it came from (curing tank or one of their fish/invert tanks) I'm putting it in QT for at least a week to make sure there are no ammonia spikes. Then I'll put it straight in my main system (do I have to acclimate it? If so, drip?).

But, there's also the parasite issue - how will I know if the rock is carrying ich etc.?

When QT'ing the LR, do I need a filter? Or is it ok just with a powerhead and a heater?

And, I was actually intending getting corals attached to LR - I guess the corals can't be QT'd so I'll need to get the LR and corals seperately, if that's possible?

If the lfs says it is cured, bring an ammonia test from home, or ask them to test the water in front of you from the LR tank. :wink:

I'd rather be on the safe side and QT myself for a bit tbh :p

You won't know its just one of those things... They say the ick can live up to 30 days without a host so If you really want to play it safe QT the rock for over a month. No acclimation for LR just put in tank..
Cured LR dose not have to be QT if you don't want it to be, but for reasons QS states it is not a bad idea.
Just make sure you have a PH in the tank with the lr for circulation. A heater to keep what ever is alive on the LR would help also.

So, I only need a ph and a heater? No need for a filter or anything else?

I may as well QT it for 30 days then as I guess I don't need to do anything to it (no food or waterchanges etc.). Just basically leave it there and monitor ammonia to see if I get any.

If I do get ammonia - what do I do? Just waterchanges to get it down, and then keep monitoring until there's no more?

Can you actually get corals at a later date and place them on the LR yourself?

Is 4 weeks definitely enough? I thought it was 6? :/

yes on the corals.... some guys use a garbage can, new of course.... PH and heater thats all that is needed... but lr in and check for amm if none just let it be for the 30 days. No need to add anything....
If you get amm do small changes, you dont want to get rid of all the amm because that is what the other bacteria feeds off of so you need some amm. Then you will get nitrite then the end result is nitrate....

Won't the ammonia kill whatever's on the rock though?

As soon as ammonia is undetected for a good few days (after a couple of say 25% waterchanges), I'm good to go? How many waterchanges do you think I'd need to do to get the ammonia sorted? My QT is about 15gallons.

Also, if I'm not getting rid of all of the ammonia, how do I know when the rock is ok to put in my tank? ;)

When I first started I put 20kgs of LR straight into my tank which had come via the post over night, my cycle was completed in 7 days using a dead prawn...

A few weeks later I bought 4kgs more different LR from a Local LFS & just used carbonated fresh water dip before adding it straight to my tank, I saw no ammonia whatsoever with those 4 bits....

Cheers Shelton.

Shelton: you could've been lucky though? :p

I think I'll QT just to be on the safe side. How many water changes do you think I'd need to do to get rid of any ammonia that shows up?

Back
Top Bottom