Quick Question About Rid-Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to know if Im reading the directions correctly. Do I add the recommended dosage every 24hrs?

At which point do I stop before I add too much medicine?

If I'm not mistaken I've heard that people have had problems after using rid-ich. (Assuming you're getting rid of ich...lol)I'd just pump up the temp to 85(F) for the next 2-3 weeks... less hassle on your part.... and you wont have to worry about fish deaths and all crap like that...

Rid ich is really nothing but methylene blue (or malachite green, basically the same thing). Its a poison, and is also used in the microbiology field as dies and such. Generally, its not the best to use. Overdosing can cause huge problems. Not to mention, it will kill some, if not most or all of your inverts in your tank.

Barring you have fish that can withstand it, bump the temp up (like puriti said) to 86F or higher, and add salt if you wish. You'll be much safer and your fish healthier this way.

Good luck.

I guess it would've been helpful if I gave a little background info.

My tank is a 46g tank with 3 small fancy gold fish and 2 rubber lipped plecos. I was stupid and didn't quarantine the newest addition, a gold fish.

A few days later, he got sick and it started to spread.

My problem is that, gold fish will not survive at 86F and the plecos are sensitive to salt.

Now I don't know what to do to keep everyone happy... ???

TyGer- If I remember correctly, you had a post a few days ago about the ich problem. It was suggested by TankGirl to purchase the Rid-Ich beacuse of the fish that you have. In your situation, heat is not the best option because of the goldfish and the salt isn't because of the plecos. Use the Rid-Ich. Since TankGirl has used it, you may want to PM her about effective doses.

rid-ich Contains formaldehyde (11.52% formalin) U.S.P. grade 4.26% and premium quality zinc-free chloride salt of malachite green 0.038%. Made in the U.S.A.

I agree then. If you have goldies, use the rid-ich. Sometimes you just don't have a choice but use it. Do you have a seperate tank you can plop the plecos into? If not, just make sure you do not put in more than the directed dosage.

Good luck.

Yeah.... goldfish and heat is a big no no lol Good luck with your rid-ich! Hope your fishies get better :D

fishyfanatic, yes that is my situation.

Devilishturtles, I'm trying to figure out the correct dosage. It says 1 teaspoon per 10g, but is that a daily dosage? Meaning, do I put 1tspn every 24 hours?

Thanks Puriti. 2 of the 3 gold fish look much better. Almost all visible ich has gone away. The 3rd guy still has dots all over his body, but all of them are still swimming around normally.

The 2 plecos don't look too good. I haven't seen them eat in a few days. I don't know if they're eating the natural algae in the tank, but they're not eating any food I'm giving them.

1 tsp per 10 gallons means if you have a 20 gal you put 2 tsp, a 30 you put 3 tsp, etc. Every time you need to dose again you will have to do a 25%+ water change before dosing. It says dose as needed so I guess there is some guesswork involved. :?

The 25% water change before each dose is what I didn't know. It doesn't say that on the directions. It just says to add 1tspn per 10g every 24hrs.

Back
Top Bottom