Quick-Start Bacteria Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsbetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I've just set up a 5.5 gallon betta tank and dosed it with API quick start. But I was wondering if I needed to do anything else? I know that quick-start products are not recommended at all, but it was my only option at the time. I'm going to test the water tomorrow, but should I add anything (like fish flakes) into the tank to give the bacteria something to eat?

I don't use any of those products as I had an issue years ago. If you have a cycled tank, or access to a cycled tank you can use filter media or even some substrate. When I start mine, I use the above and add about two cups of water from partical water changes. I make sure to get some poop in the parcial water. This seems to work very well. In the future, I'd take an over size sponge filter and place it in a 5gal bucket and cycle it just like a tank. Leave it running and add a little partical water change water from your tanks to keep it full. When you start a new tank or need a quick fix, use the sponge filter.

Yes that would've been perfect! Sadly I don't have any other tanks, nor do I have friends with tanks, otherwise I would've done that! Thanks for the information though, I never thought about keeping a spare bucket of cycled water handy.

Try your local LFS. They would probably be wiing to give you some of their used filter media. That would give you an almost instant cycle.

The only thing you really need is a good liquid test kit, preparedness to do water changes as needed, and some patience (cycled media helps, but if you can't get it then the cycle will still happen, just more slowly). The ammonia from the waste that the fish put out will "feed" the bacteria---you're just waiting for enough bacteria to grow to handle the amount of waste the fish excretes so that the water doesn't become toxic to the fish. In the meantime, that's where the water testing and water changes come in. Here are a couple of guides if you haven't seen them already:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom