Quick temperature question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magic mike

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just noticed my temp on my 125gal African cichlid tank is around 83-4 degrees. I just put on a new Fluval fx6 since my other canister filter that's on my tank wasn't up to the task. I keep my temp always around 80-1 on the tank with the old canister filter and the wet/dry sump filter. I'm assuming that temp went up from mechanical heat from the added FX6. I planned on running this fx6 along with both other filters for a few weeks to build up good bacteria. These temps gonna be okay for that long period of time?

Thanks

If mechanical heat from the filter is heating the water, shouldn't your thermometer(s) compensate for that by not heating the water as much?

A heater doesn't take away heat though.... Doesn't have anything to do with a heater. I don't even have one in my tank.

A heater doesn't take away heat though....

Yes, but it turns off when the temperature reaches a specific value and, assuming that your room temperature is lower than the tank temperature, the tank water will cool.

Doesn't have anything to do with a heater. I don't even have one in my tank.

OK, so then your tank is likely in a room that is rather warm. If that's the case, it's possible that the higher temp could be from mechanical heat from your filter. Or perhaps your old filter wasn't circulating the water effectively and you had a temperature differential between your filter intake/output and your thermometer. That could happen in a very large tank like a 125.

It sounds to me like you need to lower your room temperature, if possible.

I would think as long as you keep an eye on parameters and fish behavior,you should be fine.
Many AC can handle these temps without issue.
The issue will be dissolved O2 being lowered,and organics having a poassibly greater effect.
If you notice any stress from fish,which may be the best indicator then just up your water change schedule.
My 135 used to get 84-86 in the hot summer when I had Tangs.

I'm pretty sure it's mechanical heat since all I did was add a extra big canister filter. The other one will be taken off once the FX6 builds up some good stuff. The tank is super clean and clear just freaked about the heat. The temp in the room is 76 and the ceilings are are low.

I'm pretty sure it's mechanical heat since all I did was add a extra big canister filter. The other one will be taken off once the FX6 builds up some good stuff. The tank is super clean and clear just freaked about the heat. The temp in the room is 76 and the ceilings are are low.

Back
Top Bottom