R/o system? How do you use one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've seen people talk about needing storage for their r/o water. Can anyone enlighten me about how they use their system? Is it under your sink in your kitchen? Can you use a Python for water changes? Thanks!

I have my ro/di unit outside on my back back which is covered and screened. It gets it's water from a garden hose and I run that into a 32g Brute trash can. :)

I run a small pump with tubing to get it to the tank that needs it or I just scoop buckets out for my smaller tanks.

You can mount them virtually anywhere that's close to a water source. Mine is in the laundry room. I have a wye coming off the cold water hookup with a valve on each side. When I want to make RO/DI water, I turn on the valve that the RO/DI unit is hooked to (washer valve stays on). I stick the waste water line in the washer so that it's not actually being wasted. I don't have an optimal setup yet, as I just fill up 4g water jugs from a drinking machine, but that's pretty much all there is to it. You can use a python for draining, but not for filling.

Thanks for the replies. So the r/o takes a while to filter any large amount, and you have to wait a long time to have enough for water changes?

Yeah, hoping it would remove the nitrates from the tap water. Adding buffers would be okay.

Back
Top Bottom