Radion XR15w Pro vs. AI Prime HD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoC16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have decided its time for me to add another light to my reef tank, since my current light is unable to adequately light the far ends of my tank (30 gallon long). I currently run 1 Radion XR15w Pro that has been working very well for me and my corals. My dilemma is that adding another fixture would be a bit costly considering my tank is only 30 gallons. I was considering just adding an AI Prime HD, since they are quite a bit less expensive and seem to put out a fair amount of light for their value. I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing light varieties from different brands, since I'm not sure if it would be possible to match the spectrums close enough to produce a seamless appearance in the tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciation.

Hi, I've only done this on planted tanks where I have mixed light types. I guess it won't make much difference for reef tanks but I put the light that I like at the front of the tank where it "washes" out the light behind that one. In my case these are high in red light which I don't like.

Last edited:
I'm late to this discussion, but you need to add another light because the smaller version of the radion doesn't give full coverage to the sides of your tank?
The length of a 30 gallon long is about 30 inches. The length of the tank is even wider than the coverage the XR30 can provide, estimated at about 24 inches, but I'd suspect simply trying to trade the 15 for a 30 would provide what you are looking for here.
Due to these radion units being around for a long time you could find yourself a deal on earlier generation units. If they didn't provide the coverage your looking for, upgrade the optics to the wide ones. They were about 15 dollars if I remember correctly when I did the procedure on my gen 2's.
I'm sure ecotech would provide their expertise as well. They have great customer service and have had discussions with me about everything from lighting graphs to power supplies in the past.

Back
Top Bottom