Rainbow fish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schpanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I've been noticing some beautiful rainbow fish on you tube lately, but have never had any. I am interested, but have lots of question. Figure I'd ask here for experienced advice.

First it looks like there are so many different varieties. What are the ones with the yellow tail fins? What are the red ones? Look at these!!!
Are these hard to come by? I've never seen colorful ones in my local store, is that because they are babies?

I'd love to add some color to my tank. Am I overstocked? 55gal planted
6 giant danios
4 clown loaches
1 geophagus
1 angel
1 ram

Thanks

The blue and yellow 1s are Boesemani rainbows
The red 1s are Irian or Salmon or Red rainbows depending on who you speak to..
All lfs I frequent usually have at least 1 or 2 types, juveniles do have less colour but you can get an idea of what they will end up like

The good think about rainbows is there is many different colors and they are super peaceful.

Besides Praecox and threadfins most all of them will get 5-6 inches. These fish are very active and a minimum of a 4ft 55g is recommended so they have plenty of lateral swimming space.

It is recommended to have groups of their own species even though they will tend to all hang out together.

They are not picky about food and are voracious eaters. To may even need to over feed a bit so the other fish get some.

Caleb

They are not picky about food and are voracious eaters. To may even need to over feed a bit so the other fish get some.

Caleb

I notice that with my boeseman's, I feed once with 3mm, then another time with smaller so the other fish get some food.

I'd love to add some color to my tank. Am I overstocked? 55gal planted
6 giant danios
4 clown loaches
1 geophagus
1 angel
1 ram

Thanks

Your tank is overstocked. Clown loaches get way, way too big for a 55 gallon. So do most geophagus. So I wouldn't add anything.

Thanks. I really want to keep it balanced as long as I can. Even though my geo and loaches are babies, I don't want to make it uncomfortable. It's serene and peaceful, so maybe I'll keep the rainbows on the bucket list. Thanks again. Are 4 loaches alone too much for the 55? How long does it take them to mature?

One more non related question. What would be the best tank size for four clown loaches as they grow? Seriously. I will upgrade solely for these little guys. Love em!

Clown loaches are slow growing, so you probably have a few years. That said, they can be easily stunted in too small of a tank. I recommend at least a 6 foot tank for them (125+ gallons), and I would add one more. I have found 5 is the best "minimum" for loaches; they are incredibly social!

I totally understand upgrading for those guys. When I first started fishkeeping I got two clown loaches for a 26 gallon and ended up getting a 55 and a 150 to grow them out and keep them! I'm a loach fanatic to this day. For what it's worth, there are some awesome species that can live in a 55 gallon like yoyo loaches, zebra loaches and angelicus loaches. They're pretty similar to clown loaches.

I really wanted clown loaches in my 700 ltr rainbow tank cos they remind me of dogs, but with tails, but I don't really think I have the space for them

700 ltr is enough for them, but you could also do any of the other botias which are pretty similar- yoyo, angelicus, zebra, queen, etc botias. Any of them would work.

Back
Top Bottom