rainbow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r007mb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In response to post"So a few days ago my boesemani rainbowfish was swimming all crazy and he would go upside down then swim crooked then get stuck between some wood or on the bottom so i went ahead and got him out. Since then i noticed one of my two australians was losing color and not eating and just last night i noticed he was swimming all crazy to and got stuck on the bottom. I had to take him out. My last and biggest australian rainbow seems to be doing fine. He was kind of starting to be a slight bully towards the other two but i dont think enough to kill them. All other fish are fine as of now. Was is killing my fish? Well i have the SAME problem. Bosenian , Blue and Millenium rainbows die with no reason. All parameters such as nitrate nitrite,amonia ph,phosphate are all normal. I have tried water changes, quarantined these fish but they still die. They dive up and down in the aquarium and upside down. They get pale and dont eat. My tertras are fine and angels and catfish are ok . I have only problems with the rainbows.

Often times intestinal bacteria infections are the underlying cause for the Swim Bladder disorder. Unfortunately in those cases there really is no treatment. By the time the corkscrew swimming behavior is observed the internal damage has already been done.
Years ago I lost several Columbian Tetras in much the same manner.
IMO, your best course of action is to quickly remove any fish which exhibits the erratic swimming behavior. Conduct a big WC and concentrate on keeping the tank pristine.
If everyting levels out, wait three or four weeks then begin restocking.

thanks for your reply back to me

i agree with the possible intestinal infection. is this infection in the water? i have introduced rainbow fish 4-5 times now and the same thing happens to them all. thanks again ron barnett

Bacterias, including "Columnaris" are always present in small populations in all FW aquariums. All it takes is a weakened or damaged fish to become a living incubator to a lethal batch of bacteria.
My guess is that the fish had alread been infected before you added them to your tank.

I contacted the city od Delray Beach here in Florida and inquired about our water. Here is what the supervisor e-mailed me. "Perhaps he can have this reviewed by an aquarium expert to ensure that our water can support the type of fish you have or if the type/dosage of chemical addition should be adjusted".

One other possible thought, the department performed a “chlorine burn” from 10/26 – 11/6, where the application of ammonia we normally use with chlorine to form chloramines for disinfection, was turned off and a higher amount of chlorine was added to the system. Perhaps if the fish loss occurred at this time, it might be attributable to the change in water chemistry. When chlorine burns are scheduled to occur, I know the department advertises it in the newspaper, on the town’s website and also through some social media outlets. I have placed Rainbows before , through and after this period of time. What do you think?

Most quality water conditioners nuetralize both chlorine & chloramines. You might check with the fish store manager and see if any similar problems like yours have come to their attention.

Back
Top Bottom