Rainbow shark question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steviemac413

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, new to this site. I just added a second tank to my collection (a 20g) and I had a combatibility question. I am by no means an expert fish owner as it currently has two danios, a red eye tetra, and a molly (fairly simple fish to maintain). Given I am in the military and travel alot, we take it easy so my wife can handle it solo while I am gone. I was looking at adding a Rainbow shark to the collection and I know there is already a thread on this subject that discusses this, but no mention of combatibility with Mollys. The owner of the store where I get my fish says it should be no problem but I am getting mixed reviews online that the rainbow shark and molly sometimes don't mix well. Any advice and expereinces are greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Personally, I would skip the "shark" and add more Danios and Tetras. They are both schooling fish and would appreciate larger numbers (total at least five of each).

The tank in question, is a 20gal? If so, I don't recommend getting a rainbow shark for it. I have an albino rainbow in a 65gal and even that is bordering on too small. They get large, territorial and love to swim so they need a lot more space.

RBS need at least a 55gal. As they mature they become territorially agressive and they need space for them to establish territories. In a small tank, they can take out that aggression on tankmates.

Hey everyone, new to this site. I just added a second tank to my collection (a 20g) and I had a combatibility question. I am by no means an expert fish owner as it currently has two danios, a red eye tetra, and a molly (fairly simple fish to maintain). !

If you're planning on adding the rainbow shark to the 20 gallon, absolutely not. They require a minimum of 75 gallons, based on my personal experience.

You must up the number in the school of tetras to at least 6, 8 would be better. I would also bounce the danios to at least 5. At that point, your 20 gallons will be fully stocked.

Back
Top Bottom