Rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottM23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know Rainbowfish are a Shoaling species and should be kept in at least a group of 5. But a local breeder wants to sell me two fully grown Bosemoni for $15 a piece. I feel like this is a great deal and I can get the full affects of their color immediately since I'm not buying them as juveniles. However, I'm not interested in adding any other Rainbows. Will this simply just make them not behave as naturally? Or would they become aggressive like Tiger Barbs when not kept in a larger group? Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• IMG_8066.jpg
    IMG_8066.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 46
Sorry for the blue lighting. My lights are ramping down at the moment.

I had a pair for a couple years and that was all the lfs had when I bought them. The M chased the F ALL the time and she died, probably earlier than she should have. Looking back I think there should have been at least another female or 2 in there, though I was told just the 2 as a pair would be fine.

The pair may be past their best breeding time but as beautiful fish you will not have to wait a year for them to grow up. Do you know how old they are?

Last edited:
I had a pair for a couple years and that was all the lfs had when I bought them. The M chased the F ALL the time and she died, probably earlier than she should have. Looking back I think there should have been at least another female or 2 in there, though I was told just the 2 as a pair would be fine.

The pair may be past their best breeding time but as beautiful fish you will not have to wait a year for them to grow up. Do you know how old they are?

I'm not sure how old they are but I know they're both male. I might add more in the future but I'd like to find out a little bit more. I was thinking maybe there would be issues with adding smaller bosemoni's in with the two fully grown adults. What do you think? Thanks for sharing your experience I greatly appreciate it!

If they are males maybe they can just chase eachother. If you were going to get more I would do 4 females to spread out the chasing especially since they would be younger and more easily tired, maybe.
Or just leave the two males and see how it goes.

If they are males maybe they can just chase eachother. If you were going to get more I would do 4 females to spread out the chasing especially since they would be younger and more easily tired, maybe.
Or just leave the two males and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this as well. As of now I'm just gonna stick with the two males and if I notice aggressive behavior then I'll purchase some more. Do you know if you can purchase full grown Rainbows on AquaBid?

Back
Top Bottom