Raising KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read that you can raise the KH in a tank using a sodium carbonate solution. You can make the sodium carbonate from baking soda by placing it in an oven at 300 degrees for 1 hour. This supposedly removes the extra oxygen molecule and causes the powder to give off CO2. Since my wife keeps several boxes of this on hand I thought I would give it a try.

Has anyone tried this?

How can you tell if the change is successful?

Not sure about this as ive never tried it, but why would you try it? There are many buffering products on the market that do the same job and better to some degree.

As you may have seen on another thread, my KH is pretty low. The other parameters are close to normal and what needs to be fixed will be remedied with water changes. Using a mixture of Sodium Carbonate and baking soda is supposed to let me bring up the KH without a huge effect on the pH. The buffers in the lfs cost about $12 per bottle. Baking soda is cheap, plus I kinda like the idea of DIY projects. It gives me something to do while waiting for the cycle to complete.

If your cycle isnt complete, I wouldnt do anything. Wait for the cycle to complete. You will have too many things taking big swings while you are cycling. Check it when the cycle is done and then decide how to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom