Raising salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antonio718

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted to raise my salinity in my tank, is it ok to just top it off with already mixed saltwater from my lfs? All my levels are good so no need for a water change, i dont need to raise it much i think two gallons would do it, would it start a mini cycle or change my levels? I have fish and inverts in mu tabk

crister13 said:
Yes that's fine. There is no way it will cause a mini cycle.

Will the raise of salinity shock my fish and inverts? Should i do drip acclimation or something?

Antonio718 said:
Will the raise of salinity shock my fish and inverts? Should i do drip acclimation or something?

If you are just topping off with saltwater the salinity won't change fast enough to effect them.. now if you were doing a large water change with high salinity water to raise it you may shock them which is why most people raise salinity thru top offs

It's okay, just top off with salt water instead of fresh water, that way your salinity will go up slowly and wont have any bad effects on your tank. The safest is to raise it by 0.001 per day.

Back
Top Bottom