Raising temperatures to treat inch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judyheitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently I do not have a problem but want to be ready in the event I do. Is there a chart somewhere that shows which fish it is safe to raise the temperature between 86 and 89.6°. I’ve done la lot of research on how to treat so I’m not worried about that part but I have rainbow, Congo tetra, Cory cat ,and pleco and bristle nose cat. I want to make sure that all of these fish can tolerate a slow increased temperature to treat the epic if need be. A chart would be really helpful but other peoples experience s we’re also be valued thank you

I think any tropical fish can take 86, if you do it that way, be prepared its alot more work vs just bying some "quick cure" at walmart for 4 bucks and killing ick that way.

Hello judy...

There are several means of dealing with a parasite and temperature is just one. Raising the temperature of the tank water will increase the metabolism of the parasite and shorten the lifespan. But, this will shorten the life of the fish too. Heat isn't good for any aquatic plants you have either. The best way to deal with a parasite is by keeping the water extremely clean with large, frequent water changes, vacuuming the bottom material very well and using a low dose of standard aquarium salt. Parasites won't tolerate pure water conditions and salt will kill them or retard their reproduction. Heat can only be used short term, but lots of large water changes and a low salt dose can be used indefinitely.

Make your water changes 50 percent every few days and dose a healthy teaspoon of aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of replacement water. The amount won't damage your plants. You can follow this routine for the life of the tank if you like and you'll have no tank problems.

B

The best advise I can give you is : You don't need a chart. You just need to know your fish. Every fish is different. Even if a chart tells you what fish can handle what temp. It don't matter(Imo). Some will handle higher temps better than others. You just gotta watch your fish as you raise your temp (slowly). If they start acting like they can't handle it, then back it back down. You'll know what they can handle and what they can't. And you can always remove the ones that can't handle it and put them in a different tank. Just don't shock them by throwing them in different temp to fast. Float them in a cup or something before putting them into the other tank. Always have a back up plain. You'll do fine if it ever happens. Ich is not hard to deal with. Just gotta clean alot, along with water changes for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom