Ram breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corn_pea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a GBR(m) and a EBR (f) that are paired with each other. They live in a 29g with 5 corys, some kuhlis, and 4 platys that I’m planning on moving out. They chose a rock to stay around and have been pecking at it for a while as if they’re gonna spawn..But I haven’t seen any sign of eggs in the female..Will they breed with each other? They chase away everything from their rock. Would it be best to remove the corys too? I’ve had the rams for 10 days now and just finished treating them for ich Also, the female chases the male back to the rock if he wonders off..is this normal? If someone could answer all these questions that’d be great :)
IMG_9747.jpg

I have a GBR(m) and a EBR (f) that are paired with each other. They live in a 29g with 5 corys, some kuhlis, and 4 platys that I’m planning on moving out. They chose a rock to stay around and have been pecking at it for a while as if they’re gonna spawn..But I haven’t seen any sign of eggs in the female..Will they breed with each other? They chase away everything from their rock. Would it be best to remove the corys too? I’ve had the rams for 10 days now and just finished treating them for ich Also, the female chases the male back to the rock if he wonders off..is this normal? If someone could answer all these questions that’d be great :)
View attachment 323169

First off, the different color variations of the rams are all still the same specie so they will interbreed. You may not get the best color results but you won't know what you will get until the fry get larger.
The chasing away from the rock definitely looks like pre-breeding behavior. The female bringing the male back is also typical ( and vice versa btw) because it's best when both parents tend to the eggs.
As for the other fish, I've had the most success breeding rams when they are in a tank by themselves. Since other fish, especially bottom dwellers, will eat the eggs, I'd remove the cories and the khulies as well. The other option is to divide the tank so that the rams are alone on one side and the other fish are on the other side. Giving the Rams security to breed will definitely help with better spawning results. If you divide the tank, put up some distractions on the divider ( or use a solid colored divider) so the fish can't see the other fish. If you use a solid divider, make sure you treat the 2 sides as separate tanks so you will need at least an air stone on both sides and a sponge filter on the Rams side so it doesn't suck up the fry.

I should also add that quite often, the first few spawns from Rams are not usually successful. Since I don't know how often these fish have spawned before, this is just typical information. Yours may be established breeders from previous attempts and be very successful on your first spawning. Just be prepared for both scenarios. (y)

While I've successfully raised Ram fry with the parents tending the eggs or/and my taking the eggs and hatching them in a separate tank, if you haven't spawned fish before, you may want to let the parents do the work for this one. It will be less stressful on you. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens. (y)

First off, the different color variations of the rams are all still the same specie so they will interbreed. You may not get the best color results but you won't know what you will get until the fry get larger.

The chasing away from the rock definitely looks like pre-breeding behavior. The female bringing the male back is also typical ( and vice versa btw) because it's best when both parents tend to the eggs.

As for the other fish, I've had the most success breeding rams when they are in a tank by themselves. Since other fish, especially bottom dwellers, will eat the eggs, I'd remove the cories and the khulies as well. The other option is to divide the tank so that the rams are alone on one side and the other fish are on the other side. Giving the Rams security to breed will definitely help with better spawning results. If you divide the tank, put up some distractions on the divider ( or use a solid colored divider) so the fish can't see the other fish. If you use a solid divider, make sure you treat the 2 sides as separate tanks so you will need at least an air stone on both sides and a sponge filter on the Rams side so it doesn't suck up the fry.

I should also add that quite often, the first few spawns from Rams are not usually successful. Since I don't know how often these fish have spawned before, this is just typical information. Yours may be established breeders from previous attempts and be very successful on your first spawning. Just be prepared for both scenarios. (y)

While I've successfully raised Ram fry with the parents tending the eggs or/and my taking the eggs and hatching them in a separate tank, if you haven't spawned fish before, you may want to let the parents do the work for this one. It will be less stressful on you. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens. (y)

If they do spawn I will definitely take the eggs out and raise them myself, I’ve raised a few species of fry. Would you recommend putting an airstone and anti fungal meds in with the eggs? Also when my female has eggs in it, will there be any other signs other than the pink belly?

If they do spawn I will definitely take the eggs out and raise them myself, I’ve raised a few species of fry. Would you recommend putting an airstone and anti fungal meds in with the eggs? Also when my female has eggs in it, will there be any other signs other than the pink belly?

Yes, it will need some form of water flow over the eggs to keep them clean so an airstone is the best bet. Depending on which antifungal med you use, be prepared to remove the med when the fry hatch. Some meds, e.g Methylene Blue, is reported to have some adverse effects on the swim bladder with some fry so it's best to remove it the expected day of hatching. The hatched fry alone don't need the med.
As for the female showing colors when gravid, I have not seen any color change on the electric blues so you will have to depend on her girth and habits to know she is gravid. (y)

Back
Top Bottom