RCS Shrimp Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coursair

Aquarium Advice Addict
Red Cherry Shrimp are easy to breed, but many of you are just starting out. I just wanted to pass this on ....
First time mothers often drop eggs.
Don't stress!!!

As they get larger and more experienced more and more eggs hatch. My first berried RCS started with 30 eggs. Ended up with maybe 15 and hatched 3 babies the first time.

These days if I see a large molt in the tank I know a female had babies. Right after they molt they put out pheromones and the males go CRAZY trying to find the freshly molted, ready for breeding female.

Next time you see her she may be berried.

Patience and good Shrimp Keeping will take you from 15 to 100 RCS before you know it ( in a Shrimp only tank ).

Here's something I've been wondering, will they overpopulated their tank?

Or will the quit breeding when theyre pretty much at capacity?

Here's something I've been wondering, will they overpopulated their tank?

Or will the quit breeding when theyre pretty much at capacity?

If water quality drops they may slow down, but may not stop completely.
I had at least 100 RCS in my 10g when I gave some away to club members. Now that there are fish predators, the population is stable.
But I'll be setting up at least one and perhaps two Shrimp only tanks (Otos maybe), for my CRS for sure and perhaps one for working on my RCS to get them as red as I can.

Thanks guys. Well guy and girl ;).

But I understand. I was kind of considering keeping a pair of Dario Dario or a similar Dario, to keep population growing, yet steady.

Not only for that, but I think they're pretty cool fish. No decisions yet lol.

Back
Top Bottom