Re-organization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
So currently my 20 gallon long is stocked with:
- 1 albino tiger barb
- 2 green tiger barbs
- 2 black ruby barbs

It's a bit of an odd combination since some of the tigers from the initial shoal died and I adopted random fish, which sort of explains my unbalanced/ unideal numbers.

The tanks seems o.k, although sort of boring to look at, but the ruby barbs are are left alone, except the one male has turned bright red and is following the female a lot.

The one albino tiger barb shows aggression to the other two tigers, but that's mostly it.

Question: Basically what I've been trying to think of the past couple days is a way to re-stock this tank. I would up the numbers of tiger barbs but the ones in there are large adults and will likely harass young juvies or all **** could be set loose in my tank. I'm limited in the size of my tank and what else I could add in there, however I want to add something that is a "centre-piece fish" that may also act to encourage the tigers to group/ school as opposite to marking territories. A shark would be ideal, however are too big for my tank. I want to try and making a peaceful (perhaps fast-moving) tank as opposed to a fiesty, semi-aggressive tank. I also would like a bottom feeder, but most plecos are too big and I'm not sure if I could or should add cories to a semi-aggressive tank. Loaches maybe?

I'm open to ideas from you all.

What sort of substrate do you have? Kuhli loaches may work. Centerpiece in that size tank with barbs is a tough nut to crack.

Kuhlis are a definite possibility then. Or another "small" loach species (Lochata, Mahnerti, Robusta, etc.). Cories would work too. I've kept them with barbs without issue.

I enjoy my yo yo loaches and they are friendly and they arent harrassed by other fish. I have a 45 gallon tank with a ton of fish in it. In the tank I have 8 Tiger barbs (6 black and tan 2 Albino Barbs) and 4 yo yo loaches they get a long great. In fact unless Ive just gotten lucky with picking fish the only agression ive ever experienced is with female bettas. I had a female kill a male and recently in seperate tanks now purchased 3 female bettas and the bigger one I thought was about to eat the tiny one she had her in her mouth. So I think you should look at yo yo loaches imo

I enjoy my yo yo loaches and they are friendly and they arent harrassed by other fish. I have a 45 gallon tank with a ton of fish in it. In the tank I have 8 Tiger barbs (6 black and tan 2 Albino Barbs) and 4 yo yo loaches they get a long great. In fact unless Ive jsut gotten lucky with picking fish the only agression ive ever experienced is with female bettas. I had a female kill a male and recently in seperate tanks now purchased 3 female bettas and the bigger one I though was about to eat the tiny one she had her in her mouth. So I think you should look at yo yo loaches imo

I agree and apologize. Lochata was the scientific name for yoyos. It was reclassified as almorhae, but my old brain keeps going back to what I originally knew. Yoyos would be a very good fit with barbs.

Sweet, I may look into the yo yos. I've never kept them before, so I'll have to do a bit of research on them.

Kuhli loaches look pretty interesting, though.

Flip: Did your tigers school despite the mismatch colors?

Thank yous for all your replies.

You bet. They are fun fish and really do swim like schools of fish. They're fun after eating they all swim against the the filter current. Not really sure why although it might be because i drop a little food there for the yo yo loaches to get. They are fast eaters and try to gulp everything. I like them though and I wnould advise anyone with the tank space to get them. As far as being fin nippers....... there are 8 of them and only have time to pick on each other and thats fun to watch they chase one around and then they turn around and will chase the other one. I only say they arent bad with fin nipping because I have a male betta in with them and they never bother him what so eve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom