Re-Stocking Ideas for schooling fish - 29G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
As you may or may not have followed here...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/ich-showed-up-the-day-before-vacation-308464.html

...I recently finished a long battle with some disease in my tank and lost my entire school of Cardinal Tetras. It turns out that they were just a weak batch and my mom and pop LFS said they can't keep them alive either.

So... I'm down to a small school of Zebra Danios, a couple pond snails and MTS in my 29 Gallon, moderately planted tank, and that's it. I'd like to hear some stocking suggestions for a school of HARDY fish that would get along well with Zebra Danios. I saw some really cool Red-Finned Blue Mickey Mouse Platies at my LFS that I think I will end up getting as "center pieces", but would like another small, schooling fish in there too.

Rummy nose tetras are great. Just be careful with your water parameters for the first month until they really get acclimated but once they do they are super hardy and active!

I've always liked the look of rummy noses, but my Cardinals have really scared me to get anything with the name of "Tetra" ever again. But I guess I shouldn't let one batch of weak fish rule anything out. I'm always aware of my parameters and do a 35% water change every week, sometimes twice a week.

I've always liked the look of rummy noses, but my Cardinals have really scared me to get anything with the name of "Tetra" ever again. But I guess I shouldn't let one batch of weak fish rule anything out. I'm always aware of my parameters and do a 35% water change every week, sometimes twice a week.

Wow really? I swear by tetras. I've never had a bad experience with them. Just try them I promise, once they settle in they are super hardy, active and colorful.

Cool. Yes, Harlequins are on my short list too. Would they both do OK in harder, high PH water? Everything I read about them says they want a PH of 6.0 - 7.0. My water is usually in the 7.6 - 7.8 range. I read something that said the Rummy Noses' colors will fade in higher PH water.

Not true at all. My water is 7.5ish and my rummies have always been great and colorful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Not true at all. My water is 7.5ish and my rummies have always been great and colorful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Same here and my rn's look great, maybe a bit on the small side but coloration and behavior is tip top..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My rasboras live in hard water with high ph and I haven't lost one. I wouldn't call them an active fish, I think they're a soothing back ground schooling fish. They used to live with my danios but the danios used to bump in to them so I moved the danios to a bigger tank. They just kinda beebop around and play in the current.

Back
Top Bottom