Readings??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgross15656

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not sure where I am now. I set up my 75 FOWLR on 9/30. I didn't take my first reading until 10/3 and the ammonia was .25. All other readings were 0. I've been testing every 2 days, and since my first reading, the ammonia is at 0 and all others are 0 also. I only have 60 lbs live sand, 27 lbs LR, and I am using some old ( about 3 yrs) bioballs in my trickle filter. Should my ammonia have spiked higher in the first week? I've added nothing to the aquarium.
Thanks!!

Ammonia doesn't occur without a source, such as a decaying raw jumbo shrimp or liquid pure 100% ammonia. Without adding an ammonia source to your tank the cycle will never get started. So I'd say that your readings are all at 0 because without adding the ammonia you would never get nitrIte or nitrAte.

Go to the articles section and read the article on the fishless cycling method. For now I think you should add 1 or 2 raw shrimp to the tank and see where your readings are in a week. Put them in a mesh bag for easier retrieval later.

arrgh...and my live sand is getting a funky brown layer around the edges and creeping inward. Is there anything I can do about that now?

You just need to go through the cycle right now. Check for Ammonia and nitrites and nitrates. You could keep your lights out to keep down nuisance algea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom