Ready for Trigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, my tank has been setup since 9/10/03, a little over a month. The latest readings are ammonia=0, ph=8.2, nitrite=0, nitrate 10-20. Do you think this is safe for my first trigger? I want to put in a black or huma-huma or maybe one of each at the same time. Right now there is just a damsel in there. I want to add live rock soon also. Should I add the live rock first or can I add it later after the triggers?

First off, the tank will be fine as long as you don't plan on putting any smaller, less aggressive fish later. Is so, triggers should be the last addition. But, if it is only gonna be aggessive, large fish, you should be ok. Triggers are hardy fish. Just expect an ammonia spike, because of the messy eating habits of triggers.

Also, are there any kind of hiding places in the tank? Triggers generally appreciate somewhere to hide while first adjusting to their new enviroment, so if LR is in the plan, you may wanna go ahead and get it first, especially since it will most likely be uncured, which will cause another spike in ammonia. Not happy for fishies.

Also, what are you using as bio-filtration? Two triggers could be quite a shock on a system if it doesn't have a way to handle waste and such. Two may be too much at one time, so I would probobly do one at a time.

HTH

:hat:

I have an XP2 cannister filter with bioballs in one of the chambers. I also have two powerheads, a maxijet and a zoomed (which I have read some bad reviews about, but its still rotating) for water movement/circulation. btw, i used to have triggers in my old tank a while back and I used to feed them goldfish, is this bad? They used to tear them to shreds!

Goldfish don't provide proper nutrition for SW fish. If you like live feeders, then ghost shrimp are a good way to entice fish to eat, but with triggers, I imagine they will eat anything.

When thinking of live feeders, think is it something they would eat in the wild. If not, then it is probobly not the right nutritional values.

:hat:

I would definitely add live rock first, especially if you plan on putting two triggers in the same tank, other than that I tank is ready for the triggers. Imo, you can add them first just make sure when you add another fish (whether it be another trigger or something else) that you rearrange the rocks. This will allow for all the fish to establish their own territories.

what size of tank are you putting them in?
i know what you mean about the triggers killing the gold fish, buit i would try too feed them other foods.

50 gal. I read that you should not feed them goldfishes, so I'm not going to feed them those, not too much anyway, maybe once or twice. I am going to try to get them the right nutrition.

I had a medium/large black trigger. i went to red lobster got some small salad shrimp and he loved it! not to mention you can freeze it and its cheaper. :wink:

have fun

Back
Top Bottom